Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Linux and Kubuntu with a couple of troubles.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Linux and Kubuntu with a couple of troubles.

Hi,

I have just moved on to Kubuntu from openSUSE for a number of issues I had with it, but now I have also ran into troubles with Kubuntu:

1. There were many mudules available in openSUSE yask, many of them had to do with hardware setting and info.But in Kubuntu I can't freakin' find a single similar item.I need to setup my modem or graphics card etc but where the hell am I supposed to do that The kubuntu has got no yask-esque module?? Or is it me having lost my brain all of a sudden??

2. In openSUSE, i could run a program wth whatever extension from terminal with no headache. But Kubuntu is bringing tears to my eyes for such a simple thing.
    Say I'm in the home directory and the target file is there too.In suse with ./<filename here> it was a breeze to run the program but in Kubuntu it returns an error saying no such file or folder!

I'm trying to stay away from Windows as much as possible, but it seems Linux is too complex for a computer (half)geek like me let alone the average joe.

ARGH!!! and what the #&%$ is wrong with this box I'm typing into, it just keeps scrolling up and down on its own, I can't keep my eye on what I'm typing...man am I going MAD! nevermind, I switched on the compability view in IE by chance and now it's OK! |:

PLEASE! help me stay with Linux.

Edit- maybe should have posed in the newbe section?

Re: New to Linux and Kubuntu with a couple of troubles.

1. Kickoff button (bottom left), Computer tab, System Settings at the top.

2. Not sure what programs you are trying to run?

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

1. That was the first thing I tried but I couldn't find any comprehensive hardware setting module there, modem,graphics card etc. The system setting panel is fairly bare comapred to openSUSE's.

2. There is this file with no extension but when executed in console, it is actually a program with a specific task. I could run it in suse, so nothing's wrong with the file.

Comment

As far as I know, Kubuntu doesn't ship with any other GUI settings config program. Luckily for me, everything has been detected and setup correctly by the installer. If you're having difficulty with a particular hardware device, I'm sure someone can help.

So is the file a script of some sort? You'll probably have to install the interpreter for it.

Comment

Thanks again for replying back.

I got no problem with the hardware as it was all detected and setup automatically. It just puzzled me why the hardware setting modules are only a handful and limited to basic devices like mouse and keyboard.

But the main reason behind the question is that I want to mute the modem speaker when it dials up.I will be ordering an ADSL service soon, fo now though I need to shut the damn modem up; How?

Yes the file is a script, that's right. And I need to install an interpreter for it to execute, right. But how do I figure out what interpreter it requires?

Edit- nah, not sure if that's a script since running it with 'cat' doesn't echo readble text.

Comment

Normally you can send a command to the modem to mute it. I did a quick Google and found the following command: AT&M0. There are different ways to send the command depending on the application you use to initialize the connection. As for the script, open it in a text editor and look at the first line, it probably starts with something like #!/bin/<something>. The something is the interpreter you need to install. Post again in this thread and someone can tell you how to install the necessary package from the repository.

Cheers, UK
            linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

Don't give up. I had a ton of frustrations until I found the Linux distro that was right for me. And it took a lot of patience to learn a new way of doing things (my only previous CL experience was from MS-DOS). But it has been a richly rewarding experience and science shows that learning new things will protect you against Alzheimer's and decreased mental function!

Comment

@ukchucktown: As you suggested, I opened up the kppp terminal to send the AT command, but guess what? There was a volume slider there that let me vary the modem speaker volume between three levels. I dragged the slider to the leftmost position and look, it hit the spot! The modem speaker is shut down now except for the initial dial tone that is no big deal.By the way, the correct command is ATM0L0.

As for the second problem, at last I figured out how to execute the file. As you said, at the first line of the code, the directory and the needed file to run the program was indicated. It was /lib/ld-linux.so.2

So I googled why it wasn't present on my 64bit system, and finally found out that I needed to download the 32bit libc6-i386 package.After installing the package I could run the program and everything is OK now.

Thanks everyone for the helps.

@fidesratioque: You're right mate.I will try to get the hang of working with the terminal lest I remain the dimwit person I turned into as a result of playing with Windows. :P

And I guess Kubuntu is the one distro I was looking for, it's awesome; don't think I will change over to another distro anytime soon,I gotta tweak it to my needs.

Comment

Working...
                X