Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jaunty with old Xorg? (ATI driver work-arounds...?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaunty with old Xorg? (ATI driver work-arounds...?)

I recently upgraded to jaunty (9.04); unfortunately I have an older ATI graphics, which was working fine in intrepid but is no longer supported in jaunty.

As I understand the problem is the new Xorg version and not jaunty itself... is it possible to install the previous version of Xorg so that my ATI-driver works?
    I'm not sure, but KDE 4.2 worked in intrepid with the old Xorg version... will it work in jaunty too, or do I need an older KDE4.2 version?

Anyone tried that so far?

Chopstick

Re: Jaunty with old Xorg? (ATI driver work-arounds...?)

Originally posted by Chopstick
    I recently upgraded to jaunty (9.04); unfortunately I have an older ATI graphics, which was working fine in intrepid but is no longer supported in jaunty.
    Can you be more specific? What ATI card do you have? How do you know the card isn't supported in Jaunty?

The reason I ask is that I have an ATI Radeon 9000 RV250 card in my laptop and I've been having some screwy problems with it since upgrading to Jaunty (e.g. the desktop background bleeds through the menus of some QT apps, xorg has high CPU usage when these same apps are maximized, etc).
    JamieWilson.net

Comment

It would be helpful if you could provide your ATI card details and what driver you were using in Intrepid - ATI proprietary or open source.

Generally, it seems the newer Xorg works better in Jaunty than in previous releases with ATI cards. I had to modify xorg.conf in Intrepid to get DVD playback but did nothing in Jaunty and get good results with what Kubuntu provides. I tried the ATI drivers but went back to Intrepid open source drivers.

What is the exact message you are getting to show that the ATI card is not supported?
      HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

The exact message is a gibberish on the screen... the display does not work at all when I use ATI proprietary in jaunty. There is no error message whatsoever, but this in itself is a bug and has been discussed in the forums extensively...
        Before in intrepid I used the ATI proprietary driver. It did not work immediately but I found this program called envyng which does most of the config for you.
        So after removing the ATI proprietary driver in jaunty, everything was back to normal, except that the performance was low...
        I have a Mobility FireGL V5250 on a T60p Thinkpad. The card is customized for Thinkpads and not common on other systems, as far as I know.
        And, yes, I also have these rendering glitches in QT apps, that utkjamie describes... also since I upgraded to jaunty... with the open source driver...

Comment

This page looks like a help for problems with very poor Xorg performance with ATI drivers on Jaunty https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ti/+bug/363238

Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Working...
          X