X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no tty konsole(black) and no splash on shutdown

Maybe someone may know how to fix this

Real Pain. Cannot get the tty consoles either. System Got screwed after trying to install drivers to improve Intel Graphics using Compiz. Screen was all over the place and often scrambled. After a few minor tweaks in the Xorg.conf file Compiz works normally now but now I have another several problems to deal with.

Problem 1
    When you edit file from command using: sudo kate /etc/file.
    I get a little message - Xmessage box appear on screen saying: "could not start ksm server Check your installation" and when you click OK the whole KDM session bombs out and brings me back to login.

Problem 2
    Black screen on console when I switch using Ctrl & Alt & F1.

Problem 3
    No kubuntu splash screen on shutdown.

Problem 4
    /etc/resolv.conf keeps getting wipped when I boot at work after using wireless at home.

Somehow I think they all maybe related somewhere along the way.

Using Tosh Laptop with Intel 855GM integrated graphics.

I am highly tempted to downgrade back to Hardy. At least these issues did not rear there ugly heads. I have not been impressed with Jaunty one bit. Had to upgarde my VMware console as a result.

That's my rant

Iain

Re: no tty konsole(black) and no splash on shutdown

p1: try using kdesudo or gksudo, i got that problem with kdesudo 1st, continued using sudo with no problems then that error appeared again and switched back to kdesudo

p2: something common with nvidia and ati restricted modules, it might help you too (if you use grub, of course)

in /boot/grub/menu.lst in the kernel line add vga=791

there might be another workaround for this with specific options at xorg.conf but try that first

Comment

Re: no tty konsole(black) and no splash on shutdown

Problem 1
      When you edit file from command using: sudo kate /etc/file.
      I get a little message - Xmessage box appear on screen saying: "could not start ksm server Check your installation" and when you click OK the whole KDM session bombs out and brings me back to login.
      Use kdesudo. Or, for a rather brutal "fix", comment out the "test" line (line 413 - here, anyway) in /usr/bin/startkde.

Problem 2
      Black screen on console when I switch using Ctrl & Alt & F1.

Problem 3
      No kubuntu splash screen on shutdown.
      Those two might be the same problem. Other than that, dunno.

Comment

Working...
      X