This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flashplayer-installer NOT!

Can I just say I hate Vimeo? Why? Flash Player 10. I'm thinking with this snappy 1 gig centrino on the Toshiba Satellite running the Jaunty I should be set. WRONG! I unzip, type ./flashplayer-installer, nothing happens. I sudo ./flashplayer-installer, nothing happens. I try apt-get NOTHING HAPPENS! A little frustrated am I, as Vimeo looks to have some cool stuff. Any ideas?

Re: flashplayer-installer NOT!

Have yopu tried flashplugin-installer? It is in the multivers repo.

It downloads and installs the latest plugin from adobe and installs it. Yopu have to accept the terms of agreement.

Hope that helps
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

It's also included in kubuntu-restricted-extras which is a package of commonly used programs not included in the original install. Best to install this in a terminal so that you don't miss the license agreement requirement.

Comment

Well damn if don't feel like Dorothy on the yellow brick road! Kubuntu-Restricted-Extras, what a concept! Okay so I find it here -

http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/...tricted-extras

However it doesn't have a download package for i686 architecture. Is that a problem?

Comment

If you just run:

Code:
          sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
          in a terminal, the right one will be installed.

Comment

rogue417,

1) What you found is for the release codenamed "Intrepid Ibex", i.e. Kubuntu 8.10, not 9.04 ("Jaunty Jackalope").

2) You shouldn't have to go to any websites for this! Most of the time, you can find what you want in one of several online repositories (software sources) of packages (software) that can be installed, upgraded & removed through any of several so-called package managers.

3) The most straightforward way to download and install a new package from a repository is to open a console/terminal window and type the following command:

sudo apt-get install name-of-the-package
            or:
            sudo aptitude install name-of-the-package

In your case:
            sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
            (Or, of course, sudo aptitude...)

sudo will ask you for your password, then apt-get/aptitude will download and install the package for you, including any other packages that will be required for it to function (dependencies).

4) Besides apt-get and aptitude, there are point-n-clicky package managers: Synaptic, KPackagekit, Adept... take your pick. So instead of typing, say, sudo apt-get install kaffeine irssi kubuntu-restricted-extras googleearth, you can run one of these programs and use their search functions (or just browse around) to locate the packages kaffeine, irssi, kubuntu-restricted-extras, and googleearth, mark them and whatever else catches your interest for installation, and click Apply (or Apply Changes or whatever it's called). (I prefer Synaptic, which can, of course, be installed by typing sudo apt-get install synaptic. KPackagekit might be preinstalled.)

5) Now, the package you want, kubuntu-restricted-extras, is in the Ubuntu multiverse repository. This repository might be enabled by default, or it might not... I honestly don't remember. You can use package managers to enable, disable, add and remove repositories. Synaptic lists multiverse under Settings -> Repositories -> Ubuntu Software as Software restricted by copyright or legal issues (multiverse). If you want to use KDE 4's default (?) package manager KPackagekit instead, run it and go to Settings -> Edit software sources -> Kubuntu Software. You can also edit the repositories list manually; it's the file /etc/apt/sources.list. If the multiverse repo has a # sign at the beginning of its line then it's "commented out" (disabled).

...whew. That's not the whole of it, but you can probably find more information at kubuntuguide and ubuntuguide.

Comment

Good info. I did not think to mention the multiverse repo might not be active by default. I don't remember. But the reason I want him to install the kubuntu-restricted-extras package fro the command line in a terminal, is so he doesn't miss the "License Agreement" which is easy to miss if you install from a GUI package manager.

Comment

You can pretty well nail all multimedia packages in one swoop by following this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                  Good info. I did not think to mention the multiverse repo might not be active by default. I don't remember. But the reason I want him to install the kubuntu-restricted-extras package fro the command line in a terminal, is so he doesn't miss the "License Agreement" which is easy to miss if you install from a GUI package manager.
                  Is it, actually? I would've thought it'd pop up in a terminal output window (or I'm just compulsively enabling "Details" views). But I wanted to go into the general principle of using package managers to download and install packages from repositories, and cover various methods of achieving this.

Comment

If Adept Manager is used to install packages, i have found it necessary to enable <Details> when the packages are being installed, as sometimes the agreement appears there instead of in a pop-up.

Comment

I tried it from terminal. It ran several dozen lines of text, and ended with a blue and grey screen for the license agreement. Thinking I was scot-free I closed the terminal and raced to the nearest SNL rerun on Hulu. The site told me I needed to install Adobe Flashplayer. But didn't I just install that? Did I miss something on the License Agreement? What.. did I miss?

PS So I think to try installing gnucash instead - not as entertaining as Motherlover on Hulu, but far more useful. First the machine cannot get lock on /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open, claiming the resource was temporarily unavailable. Then it said "unable to lock the administration directory, is another process using it?" Have I locked up somewhere on loading the restricted extras? If so how to complete the process.. ?

Comment

stuped Q but you did exept the licence agrement rite ?

eneyway it should work I just went to hulu and watched some famely guy ?

do the stuff in dibl's post!

and get synaptic it's the best gui packeg manager!

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Is this for the 64 bit version of flash? Because as far as I know the 64 bit version can only be installed manually.

Comment

Originally posted by ubersoft

Because as far as I know the 64 bit version can only be installed manually.

Au contraire! Follow #7 above and you'll pick up flash for your 64-bit system as well.

Comment

You can install it in 64 bit, but it's still the 32 bit version of flash, isn't it? It installs nspluginwrapper and then the 32 bit version, which (in my experience) crashes a lot in firefox and forces you to close and reload the browser to get it started again...

Comment

Working...
                              X