This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Konqueror Kolours

Websites look weird. The background colour is from KDE System Settings but obviously doesn't go together with the many websites that expect the default background colour to be white (or bright, at any rate). And I can't find a way to give Konqueror pages their own background colour.
    Attached Files

Re: Konqueror Kolours
    • Open the Settings menu.
    • Choose Configure Konqueror...
    • Choose Stylesheets in the left pane.
    • Choose the Use user-defined stylesheet and browse to a stylesheet file on your computer.
    • Or choose Use accessibility stylesheet. and click the Customize... button. A window will pop up in which you can customize how the fonts, colors, and images are displayed in Konqueror. There's a Preview button on the bottom left so you can see how your changes will look. When finished, click the Close button.

There is no spoon.

Author of the Mostly Linux blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Girl
      • Open the Settings menu.
      • Choose Configure Konqueror...
      • Choose Stylesheets in the left pane.
      • Choose the Use user-defined stylesheet and browse to a stylesheet file on your computer.
      • Or choose Use accessibility stylesheet. and click the Customize... button. A window will pop up in which you can customize how the fonts, colors, and images are displayed in Konqueror. There's a Preview button on the bottom left so you can see how your changes will look. When finished, click the Close button.
      Yah, that's what I did, actually, if only because I was too lazy to recreate batches of documentation-/research-/project-oriented bookmarks in Opera -- and Opera isn't a file manager, which makes it less useful for this purpose.

But I don't think it's a real solution: the accessibility stylesheets simply "flatten" any design they're applied to instead of providing useful but overrideable default colours, and sometimes other things become invisible in the process unless I go fully b&w.

Maybe a fully custom user stylesheet would work better, but I'm too lazy to delve into that. It's okay for docs - they're mostly plain-ish text, anyway.

It doesn't affect the Wikipedia browser in Amarok, though. Not that that one actually works (Amarok 2.1).

Whole world is designed under the assumption that everyone loves glaring white backgrounds.

(I hope that was half-way comprehensible. I'm tired. And thanks for the post!)

Comment

Sorry I couldn't be of more help! Probably your best solution would be to create your own stylesheet. You might be able to find some that others have created at here.
        There is no spoon.

Comment

No luck... trying to write my own, but can't seem to make it work for all pages. Either there'll be dark on dark text, or bright on bright text, and fixing it for one page ruins it on another. I guess I'll just not use Konqueror anymore, or colour-squash it all down to green on black the way it was meant to look. Again, thanks for your help.

Comment

Before you give up entirely, if you try the Use accessibility stylesheet option under Stylesheets, did you try putting an x in the box for Use same color for all text?

And for writing your own stylesheet to use with the Use user-defined stylesheet option under Stylesheets, if you'd rather grab an existing stylesheet and edit it, there's a Konqueror stylesheet you can download from here and save as whatever you like in any folder on your computer. You could take that file and mess around with it, changing colors here and there to see if you like how it turns out. The Konqueror home page has a chart that tells which CSS tags are supported.

If you don't like the changes you made and would rather not use it any more, you can always choose Use default stylesheet in the Stylesheets section of Konqueror settings.

For the record, I use Konqueror as a file manager and Firefox as a browser.
            There is no spoon.

Comment

Before you give up entirely, if you try the Use accessibility stylesheet option under Stylesheets, did you try putting an x in the box for Use same color for all text?
              Yes. That's the only way I end up with all text nicely readable, including headlines, code snippets, links... it's just that nothing stands out anymore.

Also, some monospaced text (code) is rendered with the default proportional font. And I haven't checked "Use same family for all text".

And for writing your own stylesheet to use with the Use user-defined stylesheet option under Stylesheets, if you'd rather grab an existing stylesheet and edit it, there's a Konqueror stylesheet you can download from here and save as whatever you like in any folder on your computer. You could take that file and mess around with it, changing colors here and there to see if you like how it turns out.
              Thanks for the tip. I took some stylesheets from (simple) webpages I had made, but to no avail. I can say things like (for example) H1 { color: #ABCDEF; } all I want - it doesn't seem to help against pages that have their own ideas about H1. I get the same result with the Konqueror stylesheet you linked to, unfortunately

For the record, I use Konqueror as a file manager and Firefox as a browser.
              I use Dolphin and Opera. But sometimes it's useful to have an app that does both. And I can start Konq with different profiles & all the relevant pages and directories open in tabs.

Comment

Originally posted by abalone
                Also, some monospaced text (code) is rendered with the default proportional font. And I haven't checked "Use same family for all text".
                This is sounding like a bug to me.

I took some stylesheets from (simple) webpages I had made, but to no avail. I can say things like (for example) H1 { color: #ABCDEF; } all I want - it doesn't seem to help against pages that have their own ideas about H1. I get the same result with the Konqueror stylesheet you linked to, unfortunately
                I have a sneaking suspicion that that's because the creator of the page probably invented a CSS entry to use that isn't addressed in the personal stylesheet. I played around with that downloadable stylesheet for a while, trying to turn all of Google red. I succeeded in turning most of it red (absolutely ghastly - don't try this at home ), but not all of it. I tried looking through the source code of the Google results page to see if I could figure out what I'd left out of the stylesheet, but nothing I tried got those two areas to turn red. But I suppose if someone were truly dedicated, they could eventually figure it out. The thing is that that's just the Google results page. There are billions of pages out there. It would be nice if you could just say, with one stylesheet instruction, "Turn the entire background of anything on this page red."

I use Dolphin and Opera. But sometimes it's useful to have an app that does both. And I can start Konq with different profiles & all the relevant pages and directories open in tabs.
                I'm pretty sure you can set Firefox up to open with certain pages open in tabs. I don't know about the profiles or directories, but considering how many add-ons there are for it, it's probably possible.
                There is no spoon.

Comment

I believe the document I was thinking of was exported from OpenOffice or MS Word; either way, it wasn't "hand-woven".

My user styles are ignored whenever a webpage wants. In other words, I can give "suggestions" - but if a page has its own CSS-y ideas then it'll do whatever. So that's no solution either.

It's not worth the pain, is it? I can switch to a more conventional dark-on-bright colour scheme whenever I use Konq... or just run a different browser-and-file-manager combo.

FYI: A goldsmith forms an opinion at the blacksmith. A football player flounces proudly in an alley. A bonecarver synchronizes watches in a plane. A cobbler trails behind everyone in a tunnel. A beekeeper unleashes evil on the showroom floor. A lifeguard expresses dismay in the tub. It's almost poetry already!

Comment

I believe the document I was thinking of was exported from OpenOffice or MS Word; either way, it wasn't "hand-woven".

My user styles are ignored whenever a webpage wants. In other words, I can give "suggestions" - but if a page has its own CSS-y ideas then it'll do whatever. So that's no solution either.
                    Yeah, since you can create custom tags in CSS, there's no way to override them. If there is a way, I'd love to learn it.

It's not worth the pain, is it? I can switch to a more conventional dark-on-bright colour scheme whenever I use Konq... or just run a different browser-and-file-manager combo.
                    My approach has always been to use one program for one thing. Those multi-purpose programs tend to be good at one thing and not so good at the rest. I think Konqueror is an excellent file manager. As a matter of fact, that will be the program I miss most when I switch to Ubuntu (any day now). But as a browser, it needs work. To this day I can't get it to play YouTube videos. I can hear them, but can't see them. They play just fine in Firefox.

Firefox also has a style remover that you might like, although when all styles are removed, pages can look pretty awful.
                    There is no spoon.

Comment

I think Konqueror is an excellent file manager. As a matter of fact, that will be the program I miss most when I switch to Ubuntu (any day now). But as a browser, it needs work. To this day I can't get it to play YouTube videos. I can hear them, but can't see them. They play just fine in Firefox.
                      Huh, strange; even on my 64-bit install these days Youtube (and other flash videos) play just fine in Konqueror. To be fair that's KDE3.5, but on my 32-bit laptop both the KDE 3.5 and the KDE 4.2 versions of Konqueror work fine (I haven't checked it yet in 4.3; I don't tend to watch flash videos, and in fact I stay as far away as I can from any sites that use flash).

I've been using Chromium recently, there's a nightly-builds PPA for it, but so far no plugins work for it so it's an entirely flash-free browsing experience. Which personally I prefer, heh.

I'll agree though that Konqueror is an excellent file manager; actually, I tend to use it no matter what else I'm using. On my projector computer I don't have any display manager installed, and the only window manager I'm using is OpenBox (mainly it's just using XBMC to play movies and TV shows shared from my main desktop), but I still have kdebase installed so that I can use Konqueror when I need to browse files. Only my laptop running 9.04, when I'm in LXDE (whenever the random slowdowns kill my enthusiasm for KDE4, basically) I use the KDE4 version of Konqueror instead of the default LXDE manager (PCFileMan IIRC).

I'd also recommend installing Filelight, it should be in the repos, and it makes Konqueror even more indispensable as a file browser

Comment

I don't normally use Konqueror as a browser. It has its shortcomings (Flash is unreliable, and Java applets never worked right).

But I have projects with HTML and PDF documentation and background research and source code and plain text notes both online and local; with Konqueror, I can bring the whole barrage up with a single click and in one window, with "real" filesystem access rather than just "server index"-like directory browsing... it's just convenient.

Yeah, since you can create custom tags in CSS, there's no way to override them. If there is a way, I'd love to learn it.
                        Custom definitions for standard tags seem to be enough to disable user styles...?

My approach has always been to use one program for one thing. Those multi-purpose programs tend to be good at one thing and not so good at the rest. I think Konqueror is an excellent file manager. As a matter of fact, that will be the program I miss most when I switch to Ubuntu (any day now). But as a browser, it needs work. To this day I can't get it to play YouTube videos. I can hear them, but can't see them. They play just fine in Firefox.

Firefox also has a style remover that you might like, although when all styles are removed, pages can look pretty awful.
                        I don't need it with any other browser... only Konqueror(/KHTML?) applies the KDE-wide colour scheme to websites that don't specify every colour themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithZG
                          Huh, strange; even on my 64-bit install these days Youtube (and other flash videos) play just fine in Konqueror. To be fair that's KDE3.5, but on my 32-bit laptop both the KDE 3.5 and the KDE 4.2 versions of Konqueror work fine (I haven't checked it yet in 4.3; I don't tend to watch flash videos, and in fact I stay as far away as I can from any sites that use flash).
                          Interesting. I also use KDE 3.5, and I'm using the LTS release of Kubuntu, but those Flash files are still a problem.

I'd also recommend installing Filelight, it should be in the repos, and it makes Konqueror even more indispensable as a file browser
                          That can be great if you like that sort of thing. I'm lost when the contents of my drives are displayed in rings like that. I prefer good old df and du.
                          There is no spoon.

Comment

[quote=abalone ]
                            But I have projects with HTML and PDF documentation and background research and source code and plain text notes both online and local; with Konqueror, I can bring the whole barrage up with a single click and in one window, with "real" filesystem access rather than just "server index"-like directory browsing... it's just convenient.
                            [quote]

Agreed. Konqueror excels at presenting files and directories.

Custom definitions for standard tags seem to be enough to disable user styles...?
                            You would think so. But try downloading the replacement for Konqueror's CSS file here and playing around with it to get the entire background of Google's search results to be red. I couldn't figure it out for my life. I got most of it to turn red, but there were niggling spots that I couldn't touch.
                            There is no spoon.

Comment

Interesting. I also use KDE 3.5, and I'm using the LTS release of Kubuntu, but those Flash files are still a problem.
                              Hmmm. Did you install Flash 10 with the official Adobe installer? I'm fairly certain that's what I did. The other thing is, that was actually a while back; maybe a newer version breaks it again? But if you're using the 64-bit version of Adobe's Flash 10 for Linux installed with their official installer then I'm at a bit of a loss as to why it works perfectly for me (well, not perfectly because it's still Flash, but other than that) yet not for you. Maybe I just did some additional step I'm forgetting after all these months?

That can be great if you like that sort of thing. I'm lost when the contents of my drives are displayed in rings like that. I prefer good old df and du.
                              Heh. Well honestly I am a huge fan of df and du, but when a drive is full and you're wondering where all the stuff IS, the graphical size-is-size way of showing things can be immensely helpful, at a glance it's very apparent where bulks are and very easy to "zoom" (there's probably a better term but I can't think of one) in on a trouble area and then see where the bulk of that is, and etc etc. It's certainly not the only tool to use; actually I should have been more specific, it's the fact that when I click on "view" in Konqueror and there's nearly a dozen different ways I can view files, each of them useful in different ways, that really reinforces my love of KDE. If there's something you need to do, there's a way to do it and someone's likely already programmed a snazzy-looking implementation of it! (although on the other hand I still tend to just use "df -h" instead of kdf, but KDE and the terminal are my two big loves in Linux land I suppose).

Comment

Working...
                              X