This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kde 4.3 beta 1 PPA

Do you guys know if there is a way I can set up the upgrade to 4.3 in a way that will allow me to revert back to 4.2 if I choose to?

Comment

Originally posted by jlacroix82
      Do you guys know if there is a way I can set up the upgrade to 4.3 in a way that will allow me to revert back to 4.2 if I choose to?
      not sure but if that is possible i think that the kde system will get very unstable (for all the replaced libraries and configurations)

the safest way can be using the nightly builds because they dont touch the main kde installation (look for project neon)

Comment

Originally posted by gabe
        I did end up manually forcing all packages to install (and a forced dist-upgrade), and met so many broken packages... I did not attempt dpkg --configure -a. What does that do? Won't it configure everything itself after the dpkg -i --force-all and retrying the dist-upgrade -f?
        dpkg --configure -a will configure all packages that have been unpacked but not yet configured, in this case due to all of the above problems.

Originally posted by gabe
        Is my install *&#^(*@#^$(*&^#'ed up?
        Hard to say if these are bugs in the beta or problems caused by the upgrade problems. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I can answer this.
        JamieWilson.net

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
          Originally posted by utkjamie
          I'm starting to wonder if anyone actually tested this in Jaunty before releasing it.
          Um, using the , ahem, experimental repo is how it gets tested in jaunty
          Once the beta progresses to rc and final, the packages will be moved to the updates ppa
          Heh. True, but I tend to expect the bugs after upgrading, not before I can even get started. It's kind of funny because in-between bouts of banging my head on the desk and language not fit for television, I remember griping Yeah, this is beta but c'mon! I can't even get a working upgrade?? :P
          JamieWilson.net

Comment

Hi, just got back from work, found new versions in the experimental ppa. Now everything seems to work fine.

Comment

i just made a

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

forgot to check and got errors (maybe for the time delay on some options) but fixed a little with

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

and the rest of the issues with... another

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

all from the ppa posted at kubuntu.org
              just got some drawing bugs and lost translations (normal at this stage) but looks like the memory problems that appeared at other distros are not here ^^

Comment

During upgrading i was getting errors with:
                kdebase-runtime-data_4%3a4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa7_all.deb
                kde-icons-oxygen_4%3a4.2.85-0ubuntu2~jaunty1~ppa2_all.deb

I did a dpkg --force for both packages:
                Code:
                sudo dpkg --force- -i /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-runtime-data_4%3a4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa7_all.deb
                sudo dpkg --force- -i /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-icons-oxygen_4%3a4.2.85-0ubuntu2~jaunty1~ppa2_all.deb
                Next did a:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get upgrade
                Things work okay now.Somehow plasma is unstable.

Anubhav Rak****

Comment

after playing a little with the 4.3b1 noticed that...

samba died
                  cant run synaptic from kickoff or krunner (kickoff link), maybe gksudo+kickoff related

not much for a beta

Comment

From the comments, it appears that from what I'm hearing the general consensus is that beta 1 has a lot of issues. Maybe I should just stay away from it for now.

Comment

to fix your install please see my post on page 2, you may have to do it a few times,
                      the key is sudo dpkg --force- -i package, reason being is that the confilcts are from some files also being in other packages (read the errors, that what all mine were ,can't replace something.so because its installed by this package and its not being updated)
                      i don't see dpkg-reconfigure -a being usefull unless you want to reconfigure all your packages (that is there settings... not any thing else).

hopefully that will help some of you get the beta working, and once done you might as well install all the related -dbg packages (so you can submit bug reports that mean something to the devs, if your in to that sort of thing)
                      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

After the repos updates I did another clean install of Kubuntu 9.04 64bit, then upgraded, added the KDE 4.3 repos and did another upgrade.

Again it failed with the dependency errors (fewer this time though).

Never had this much trouble with a KDE beta ..

Comment

Originally posted by stimpyjcat
                          ...the safest way can be using the nightly builds because they dont touch the main kde installation (look for project neon)
                          Nearly almost don't touch the main install... there are exceptions.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...0000#msg160000

Comment

got another little update and noticed that superkaramba stuff can be added now to the desktop

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                              Originally posted by utkjamie
                              I'm starting to wonder if anyone actually tested this in Jaunty before releasing it.
                              Um, using the , ahem, experimental repo is how it gets tested in jaunty ...
                              Zing! But seriously, do you know how ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-experimental/ppa/ubuntu and ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/experimental/ubuntu differ?

Is one or the other more ~official-ish-ly-kinda-almost-supported? (Or more to the point, is one or the other used by the same people that will actually package the true official release?) Here I thought I was covered for the 4.3 beta experimental/testing release, only to find it not there...

Thanks.

Comment

It looks like the information about how to add this to your sources.list file was taken off the kubuntu.org website.

The real problem I have with this is that KDE released 4.3 as a beta, which usually means it's already had some testing... but the implementation of that beta on Jaunty is very much in its preliminary stages -- definitely not a beta release -- but it's still called the "KDE 4.3 beta".

There ought to be some way to acknowledge the status of the KDE release while still correctly identifying the status of the KDE/Kubuntu integration, but I can't think of an elegant way to do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X