This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kde 4.3 beta 1 PPA

Is there an official kubuntu KDE 4.3 beta 1 PPA yet ?

Thanks,
    iz

Re: Kde 4.3 beta 1 PPA

It's got to be coming. Keep a look out at www.kubuntu.org too

Kev

Comment

no. Soon, but no definite date yet, as the devs are still setting things up for Karmic (9.10) and once that is done, they will work on getting 4.3 beta once they are built for Karmic

But do remember that PPA repos are not truly 'official'

Comment

I've already upgraded to 4.2.3 fromo ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa, will this get in the way of a future 4.3 upgrade?

Comment

Nope, as it should be coming from the same ppa when the packages are ready

Comment

It looks like it could be coming from the experimental PPA.

https://edge.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-...e/experimental

iz

Comment

Well, the updates have hit karmic as well, and kinda broke a rather good alpha...
              Perhaps it works better in jaunty, but unless you really want to test the thing it may be better to wait a bit.

Comment

How broke are we talking?

iz

Comment

Not as much as one would expect, but still annoying.

At the moment instead of a desktop (with widgets) I get a checkered surface with which I can't do anything, a panel with large fonts, and an empty notification area. I cannot use krunner or yakuake, but can start programs from kickoff, and windows appear to behave normally. Don't really know if there's anything else, since I just updated one hour ago.

Comment

I might just give it a go.

iz

Comment

I have been keeping my eyes on this link:

iz

Comment

I added the experimental PPA and upgraded, got the same checker background. I can live with it over the weekend.

iz

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa...imental/ubuntu jaunty main
                        deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa...imental/ubuntu jaunty main

Comment

I had the same problem with missing backgrounds after installing the Kubuntu 9.10 alpha. I was able to remedy the problem by doing "sudo aptitude safe-upgrade"

Aptitude seemed to have found several kde packages that hadn't been upgraded to 4.2.85.

-Andy
                          "No theory, no ready-made system, no book that has ever been written will save the world. I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker." - Mikhail Bakunin

Comment

Not sure what the problem is. I'm trying to upgrade to 4.3 BETA via http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa...imental/ubuntu jaunty main and I'm getting the following errors with apt-get install -f:

Preparing to replace kdebase-runtime-data 4:4.2.3-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa1 (using .../kdebase-runtime-data_4%3a4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa6_all.deb) ...
                            Unpacking replacement kdebase-runtime-data ...
                            dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-runtime-data_4%3a4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa6_all.deb (--unpack):
                            trying to overwrite `/usr/share/kde4/apps/kstyle/themes/oxygen.themerc', which is also in package kde-icons-oxygen
                            dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
                            Unpacking kdepim-groupware (from .../kdepim-groupware_4%3a4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa5_i386.deb) ...
                            dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdepim-groupware_4%3a4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa5_i386.deb (--unpack):
                            trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/kde4/kabc_scalix.so', which is also in package kaddressbook
                            dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
                            Errors were encountered while processing:
                            /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-runtime-data_4%3a4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa6_all.deb
                            /var/cache/apt/archives/kdepim-groupware_4%3a4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa5_i386.deb
                            E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
                            Running dpkg --configure -a gives me:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdebase-runtime:
                            kdebase-runtime depends on kdebase-runtime-data (>= 4:4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa6); however:
                            Version of kdebase-runtime-data on system is 4:4.2.3-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa1.
                            dpkg: error processing kdebase-runtime (--configure):
                            dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
                            dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdeplasma-addons:
                            kdeplasma-addons depends on plasma-widgets-addons (>= 4:4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa3); however:
                            Package plasma-widgets-addons is not installed.
                            kdeplasma-addons depends on plasma-runners-addons (>= 4:4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa3); however:
                            Package plasma-runners-addons is not installed.
                            kdeplasma-addons depends on plasma-widget-lancelot (>= 4:4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa3); however:
                            Package plasma-widget-lancelot is not installed.
                            kdeplasma-addons depends on plasma-wallpapers-addons (>= 4:4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa3); however:
                            Package plasma-wallpapers-addons is not installed.
                            dpkg: error processing kdeplasma-addons (--configure):
                            dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdepim-wizards:
                            kdepim-wizards depends on kdebase-runtime (>= 4:4.2.2); however:
                            Package kdebase-runtime is not configured yet.
                            kdepim-wizards depends on kdepim-groupware (= 4:4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa5); however:
                            Package kdepim-groupware is not installed.
                            dpkg: error processing kdepim-wizards (--configure):
                            dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kmail:
                            kmail depends on kdebase-runtime (>= 4:4.2.2); however:
                            Package kdebase-runtime is not configured yet.
                            kmail depends on libkpgp4 (= 4:4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa5); however:
                            Version of libkpgp4 on system is 4:4.2.3-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa1.
                            dpkg: error processing kmail (--configure):
                            Errors were encountered while processing:
                            kdebase-runtime
                            kdeplasma-addons
                            kdepim-wizards
                            kmail
                            Going back into Synaptic allows me to see a list of broken packages, but if I try to reinstall them I am informed that pretty much most of KDE and anything associated with it will be uninstalled. Ditto if I try to force the previous version of these packages. At this point, I'm afraid to reboot for fear that I won't be able to get to my desktop at all.
                            JamieWilson.net

Comment

Exactly the same thing with me. Some serioulsy broken dependencies...
                              Anyone knows where to report bugs on this one?

Comment

Working...
                              X