This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED: Plasma taking 100% CPU

Please, someone help. Jaunty is useless if I don't fix this.

Give me some ideas of what I can try. Killing Plasma process is not an option because then I don't have a desktop!

I am using an ATI video card with X300 chipset.

Re: Plasma taking 100% CPU

You can press Alt+F2 to start KRunner after killing plasma to restart plasma and have your desktop again. You will see, if there will be 100% CPU again.
    I hope you have System Settings - Desktop effects off, but I don't know if it really helps.
    Maybe it depends on some widgets or some applications, for example firefox upgrade might help.
    Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

This is most likely the result of unstable plasmoids. Get rid of obsolete plasmoids first, restart plasma see if you see an effect. I am not certain how to tell which are obsolete or not. Perhaps the little hourglass next to the plasmoid in the Add Widgets dialog? There are similar topics in this and the 8.10 Intrepid forums addressing this issue.

Comment

I had plasma running at a constant 50% on a CORE2. The culprit for me was the calendar plasmoid.

Comment

I am running calendar so that's probably it!

Unfortunately I tried to add an ATI video driver and now I can't get graphics to run anymore. I tried editing xorg.conf but so far still no luck. If anyone has a good article to point me to I'd appreciate it.

Comment

If your xserver has gone off the rails, it may help to reboot in recovery mode and follow the prompts to automatically reconfigure the xserver. Some of the terminology may be different, but basically it's all in the grub-boot menu. It worked for me a couple of times when I had wonky xorg settings. This'll give you a chance to uninstall the bad driver too using aptitude or similar...

Comment

Hey Rmallis: You da man! I used Aptitude to remove the ATI driver (fglrx or something like that) and now everything is good again.

Hey deus_ex_machine: You also da man! Calender is what was causing Plasma to run at 50% CPU (actually one CPU at 100% and the other near 0 for an average of 50%). Got rid of that widget and now my CPU problem is gone.

Now you two go and have a beer, it's Miller Time....

Comment

Working...
              X