This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Crash [SOLVED]

Running Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty (64 bit), KDE 4.2.3 with Linux 2.6.28-11 as a single boot on an Intel G35 mobo. All updates currently installed.

Often keep getting the following error message :

Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.

If I click on the okay button that appears on the pop-up message the system crashes and I am back at the log-in prompt.

If I ignore the message I can continue working without a problem though pop-up message remains open.

Any idea what may be causing this?

The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Re: System Crash

I do not know what is causing this, but I might have experienced something related. If I type in the password for KWallet too late after logging-in, the whole system freezes and I am forced to push the reset button. The KDE Crash Handler does not appear, so I too do not know the cause... Unfortunately, there is no way to get into the command line (tried Alt+F2).

Comment

Yesterday, there were a bunch of bug fixes updates. They solved my problems. Among the things updated were libraries concerning Qt (the foundation of KDE). Maybe these updates solve your problem too?

Comment

To get a text terminal from X you need Ctl-Alt-F2.

Comment

Five days ago there was a thread in this forum http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3103693.0 on the same topic. They concluded, that Kde 4.2.3 was on the blame. I wonder how long we should avoid Kde 4.2.3.
          Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

I really don't know what's causing your error. I would try re-installing ksmserver via the text console.

Use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to enter the Console. Login,

type: sudo dpkg-reconfigure ksmserver

If that doesn't help you could try,

type: sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop

type: sudo apt-get remove ksmserver

type: sudo apt-get update

type: sudo apt-get install ksmserver

type: sudo apt-get check

type: sudo reboot

I dunno if this will do the trick or not. Good luck!

http://lessgov2007.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was having the same issue (Jaunty 9.04 (64-bit) w/ KDE 4.2.4), and I just tried the suggestions of lessgov2007. I found that:

1.) Upon entering "sudo apt-get remove ksmserver" that "ksmserver is not installed".

2.) that there were two packages that refer to it (silly me didn't write down the names ; the first was something to do with adobe, and the second was something like "libdc++5")

3.) upon entering "sudo apt-get install ksmserver" that "ksmserver has no installation candidate" and that "kde-workspace-data" replaces it.

I ran "sudo apt-get autoremove" (as the system suggested) and rebooted.
              I suppose I'll see if that helps...
              Hardware: Toshiba Satellite A205-S4607<br />OS: Kubuntu 11.10 (KDE 4.7.2), Windows Vista Home Premium (SP 2)

Comment

I would get this when using sudo to open gui applications (such as kate). If that is your case, try using kdesudo instead.

mm0
                Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by Stormbringer
                  I was having the same issue (Jaunty 9.04 (64-bit) w/ KDE 4.2.4), and I just tried the suggestions of lessgov2007. I found that:

1.) Upon entering "sudo apt-get remove ksmserver" that "ksmserver is not installed".

2.) that there were two packages that refer to it (silly me didn't write down the names ; the first was something to do with adobe, and the second was something like "libdc++5")

3.) upon entering "sudo apt-get install ksmserver" that "ksmserver has no installation candidate" and that "kde-workspace-data" replaces it.

I ran "sudo apt-get autoremove" (as the system suggested) and rebooted.
                  I suppose I'll see if that helps...
                  So, I woke up this morning, and, lo and behold, that evil little dialog box is there... >
                  Hardware: Toshiba Satellite A205-S4607<br />OS: Kubuntu 11.10 (KDE 4.7.2), Windows Vista Home Premium (SP 2)

Comment

Well, well...

A quick Google search of ' ksmserver ".deb" ' turned up this site:

http://dir.filewatcher.com/d/Debian/...eb.123646.html

where one can download the ksmserver deb package.

Comment

In synaptic I find the package kdebase-workspace-data 4:4.2.90-0ubuntu "shared data files for the KDE 4 base workspace module". It is already installed on my system (and I didn't select it deliberately), so I'm guessing it is part of the KDE 4 suite that is installed originally.

If you install ksmserver 3.x on top of your KDE 4 installation, you may induce problems .... :P

dibl@jaunty:~$ uname -a
                      Linux jaunty 2.6.28-13-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 2 07:55:09 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                      dibl@jaunty:~$ lsb_release -a
                      No LSB modules are available.
                      Distributor ID: Ubuntu
                      Description: Ubuntu 9.04
                      Release: 9.04
                      Codename: jaunty

Comment

Well... as it happens, it won't install anyway.
                        Just as well...?

Comment

A complete reinstall fixed the problem. Must have been a corrupt file.

Thanks for all the responses.

Regards
                          The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Comment

Working...
                          X