X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want Gnome's Package Kit, not KDE's version

Hello,
    I noticed when I installed the latest version of Kubuntu, 9.04, it comes with a new package manager called KPackageKit. I must admit, I am not a huge fan of it. Adept Installer was much more aesthetically pleasing because it made use of icons next to application entries, the applications had their names, not their package file names, and the category selection was a lot more obvious.

So I decided to look on the Package Kit website, and while looking at the screen shots I noticed that Package Kit was different in Gnome to KDE?! But the Gnome one is obviously far better than the KDE one. I don't understand why there is a difference and why the current KDE one was not chosen to be exactly like the current Gnome one.

Please, how can I install the Gnome Package Kit? I installed the package for it, but it doesn't come up with all the categories and nice names for files.

Re: I want Gnome's Package Kit, not KDE's version

You can probably just install it using apt-get or search for it in the KPackagKit and install it that way.

I'm not liking this thing either.. it seems like an even worse version of Adept to me... this not being able to tell if it's installing or removing something really bugs me... I can't figure out how to only allow it to update some packages and not others....

Synaptic is the way to go for me baby!

Kev

Comment

Re: I want Gnome's Package Kit, not KDE's version

I installed Synaptic through Kpackagekit and it works great. The search function in Synaptic seems to work way better. It used to drive me nuts when I would type in part of a name in Adept and it wouldn't find the program in the repository, but Synaptic would. Kpackagekit search seems the same.

Comment

Working...
      X