This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dvd icon on desktop

When i put a DVD in the drive no icon appears on the desktop. I was wondering if anyone can let me know how i can get this to happen.

Re: dvd icon on desktop
    • Open the K Menu.
    • Choose the System submenu.
    • Choose KDE Control Center.
    • Choose Desktop in the left pane.
    • Choose Behavior in the left pane.
    • Choose the Device Icons tab at the top of the right pane.
    • Make sure there is an x in the box next to Show device icons:. If there isn't one, left-click in the box.
    • Make sure there is a check-mark in the box next to Mounted DVD. If there isn't one, left-click in the box.
    • Click the Apply button on the bottom right.
    • Close KDE Control Center.

There is no spoon.

Author of the Mostly Linux blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Girl
      • Open the K Menu.
      • Choose the System submenu.
      • Choose KDE Control Center.
      • Choose Desktop in the left pane.
      • Choose Behavior in the left pane.
      • Choose the Device Icons tab at the top of the right pane.
      • Make sure there is an x in the box next to Show device icons:. If there isn't one, left-click in the box.
      • Make sure there is a check-mark in the box next to Mounted DVD. If there isn't one, left-click in the box.
      • Click the Apply button on the bottom right.
      • Close KDE Control Center.

Where is the KDE Control Centre?

Comment

Sorry about that! I may have added it to my System menu.

Another way to open the KDE Control Center is:
        • Open the K Menu.
        • Choose Run Command....
        • Type kcontrol in the box.
        • Press the Enter key.

There is no spoon.

Comment

Kcontrol in kde 4.2? I do not find it....

Comment

Originally posted by Luigi
            Kcontrol in kde 4.2? I do not find it....
            I'm so sorry! I didn't realize it isn't even available in KDE4. I just loaded up Kubuntu Remix with KDE4 in VirtualBox (I don't use it myself - I'm currently running Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron LTS with KDE 3.5 and plan on switching to Ubuntu shortly) and tried to find a way to enable an icon on the Desktop when a DVD is inserted, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere in the system settings. This may have something to do with the Desktop not really being the Desktop any more. Hopefully someone who uses KDE4 will come along and help out in this thread.
            There is no spoon.

Comment

System Settings vs Control Center

The Control Center could be back with the KDE 4.3 > The KDE 4.3 beta: KDE Returns to Incremental Releases
              The return of the Control Center

Most of the settings themselves have not greatly changed although the settings window now includes a new network connection tool. However, in the 4.3 beta, KDE now offers more display choices.

In previous KDE 4 releases, the Control Center of earlier versions gave way to the Systems Setting Window. This change replaced the formidably long tree view of settings in the Control Center with a less overwhelming collection of icons and sub-windows.

However, the Control Center likely had as many supporters as detractors, and the fact that you could only display one sub-window at a time meant that you could easily forget where you were. In the KDE 4.3 beta, the System Settings window is still the default, but now you can switch to the tree view, which closely mimics the old Control Center. Just as with the multiple desktop menus available for the KDE 4 series, the system settings now allow users to work in the way they prefer -- a refreshing viewpoint that is one of my main reasons for switching recently to KDE.
              ... but the control center and the the system settings are both "just" switchboards to the KDE control modules.

Fast lane (example):
              kcmshell4 --help
              Usage: kcmshell4 [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [options] module

A tool to start single KDE control modules
              The command:
              Code:
              kcmshell4 display
              will start the:
              display - Display Settings
              all options:
              Code:
              kcmshell4 --list
              .. or with the krunner: ALT+F2 - type display -> start the "Display Settings"

When i put a DVD in the drive no icon appears on the desktop.
              With the KDE 4, it is the "Device Notifier" plasma widget
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
                In the KDE 4.3 beta, the System Settings window is still the default, but now you can switch to the tree view,
                [me=abalone]switches to the tree view[/me]
                What a relief!

Edit: err... I'm going back to the icon view. Given the categories I wouldn't know where to look for "Font Installer", "File Associations", "Multimedia", "Input Actions", "Power Management" or "Hardware" (for example. And, in order of appearance, they're in: "Computer Administration", "Advanced User Settings", "Computer Administration", "System", "Advanced User Settings"). I think I like System Settings best as a classic style launcher sub-menu (also back in my KDE 4.3 beta).

Comment

Working...
                X