X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to KDE 4.2.3 Failed

I received the following error:
    Code:
    Preparing to replace kdebase-runtime 4:4.2.2-0ubuntu1 (using .../kdebase-runtime_4%3a4.2.3-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement kdebase-runtime ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-runtime_4%3a4.2.3-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa1_i386.deb (--unpack):
     trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu', which is also in package kdesudo
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-runtime_4%3a4.2.3-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa1_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Re: Upgrade to KDE 4.2.3 Failed

This is a pesky problem that shows up in kde upgrades once in a while. It is caused by more than one package trying to install the same thing. You need to tread very carefully here. because trying to fix it can break your system. The safest option is probably to back out of the update until the package maintainers fix the problem. You can do that by commenting the ppa out of your sources.list file, and going through update and dist-upgrade.

If you want to proceed, you can force the offending package to overwrite whatever it's trying to write (in this case, kdesu) with the following, but hopefully you have a backup of your system just in case...

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-runtime_4%3a4.2.3-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa1_i386.deb
    followed by:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    Note that in spite of my cautions above, I have done this several times, and everything worked just fine.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: Upgrade to KDE 4.2.3 Failed

Thanks!
      That got apt moving again, and it finished the upgrade cleanly.
      I hate it when apt wedges in the middle of an important job.
      Now to see if my favorite KDE4 bugs have been fixed yet...

Comment

Working...
      X