This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(SOLVED) Kubuntu Jaunty boots into gnome rather than KDE

Kubuntu 9.04 was working fine, however, it refused to shut down properly and I had to do a hard reboot. Now it refuses to boot up into KDE but goes straight to Gnome.

How do I get it to boot into KDE again?

Re: Kubuntu Jaunty boot into gnome rather than KDE

In the menu on your login screen, go to Session Type --> KDE.

It should either remember that choice, or ask you if you want to set as default.

Comment

Sissy,

Sorry, I didn't provide enough detail. Just prior to the bad shutdown, I had installed two gnome applications, nautilus file manager and synaptic package manager. These program installations apparently have overwritten my startup files. I do not have a login screen because I had set it up to auto login which bypasses the login screen.

Any idea where the configuration file is that controls login?

Thanks,
      Jim

Comment

No, I don't know where the configuration file is that controls login, and a quick google search didn't turn up anything. I would suspect, though, that it's the same file that you edited to make it do the auto login.

From within gnome, can you open Synaptic and make sure you still have KDE installed? (I think it will be listed as kubuntu-desktop, or something similar). Installing nautilus and synaptic *shouldn't* have deleted KDE, but it's a guess anyway...

Are you still having shutdown problems?

Comment

Sissy,

Thanks for your help. No more problems on shutdown. The solution to the problem of going immediately into Gnome was very simple, just log out which takes you to a login screen, and then log back in using KDE.

I wasn't expecting to be able to boot into Gnome, I thought that feature went out when Kubuntu moved to version 4.

Too often, I overlook the obvious.

Thanks,
          Jim

Comment

Just jumping for a thought.

Did you have kdm or gdm as your login manager?

If you had kdm open up
            /etc/kde4/kdm
            from gnome in superuser mode and you favorite editor:
            and find the lines in kdmrc:

[X-:0-Core]
            AutoLoginEnable=false
            AutoLoginLocked=false
            AutoLoginUser=
            ClientLogFile=.xsession-errors
            they are at the bottom.

Change:
            AutoLoginEnable=true
            to
            AutoLoginEnable=false

save and reboot.
            If you had gdm it will be similar, but I haven't used gnome for ages.

Hope that helps

Edit:
            The solution to the problem of going immediately into Gnome was very simple, just log out which takes you to a login screen, and then log back in using KDE.
            Well, yes that will work as well

I wasn't expecting to be able to boot into Gnome, I thought that feature went out when Kubuntu moved to version 4.
            Not if you still have both installed "side by side"
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1911
              Sissy,

Thanks for your help. No more problems on shutdown. The solution to the problem of going immediately into Gnome was very simple, just log out which takes you to a login screen, and then log back in using KDE.

Too often, I overlook the obvious.

Thanks,
              Jim
              Well, I don't think I provided much actual help... but I'm glad you were able to get it working again!

Comment

Working...
              X