This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok playlists in jaunty are different

I've noticed that none of the amarok playlists I created in kubuntu 8.04 work in 9.04. So I've started recreating my playlists, and I would like to back these new ones up. However, I can't find where amarok is storing these playlists. In the previous version of amarok, I could choose where to store these playlists. These previous playlists had an m3u extension, but won't open in the new amarok.

Anyone else have this problem? And do you know where the new playlists are being stored?
    ~George
    Linux — leaping tall "Bill-dings" in a single bound!
    Linux user #347469

Re: Amarok playlists in jaunty are different

Hi,

I did also the upgrade to Kubuntu 9.04 and I have also that new Amarok 2.x version. This version is realy "BAD", it is not so good as the older version 1.4.10 version I did use at Kubuntu 8.10.

A lot of mine songs didn't work annymore and what did happend with the look of that new Amarok? It's like a programme from the year 90's.....
    It was not able even after the distro update to read in mine playlists I did had from the older BUT MUCH MORE STABLE version.

So, if there are people like me, who don't like that brand new Amarok & want having back there old one, well you can follow mine steps below. It's easy done and it just take a minute, and the new AMAROK is trashed and the stable version is back!

The version is new configured for the Kubuntu - Ubuntu 9.04.

How to install:
    1. Remove first the new version, open Bash Konsole ==> sudo apt-get remove amarok
    (this removes the version 2.x from your system)
    2. Open Synaptic and go to Preferences => PacketSources
    Add a new link to "SOFTWARE FROM THIRD PARTY'S)
    URL = http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/ppa/ubuntu
    DISTRIBUTOR = jaunty
    COMPONENTS = main

SAVE and Fetch the packages again. You will see that there comes a new one on the list, this is the url that you did
    type above. It will says that it has not a public key.....but don't worry about that. Just Ignore.
    Now you will see 3 names standing from the AMAROK 4.1.x version. Select them both, and let synaptic installing them.
    After installation, I did de-activate that latest url, and I have mine old Amarok back and everything works

The link I did found from someone who did the same and did post this link at the ubuntu forums....

Have a nice day....

The diamond can not be polished without friction, <br /> nor a man perfected without trials.

Comment

Wow! That third-party url you (windows2003) cited:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/ppa/ubuntu

really messed me up. I removed amaork 2, but those older amarok files never showed up. I managed to get amarok 2 back. It has a couple of things I don't like, but still works fairly well. the two things I don't like:
      (1) It won't play cds, and (2) I can't find out where it's storing the playlists so I can back them up.

So now I use kaffeine to play cds.

Now, please...

Can someone tell me where the repository lists are stored, because thanks to the advice of windows2003, neither Software Management (kpackagekit) nor synaptic work any more. Synaptic gives this error message:

E: Type 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/ppa/ubuntu' is not known on line 55 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
      E: The list of sources could not be read.
      Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
      E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

then closes.

OK, I see that it shows a location "/etc/apt/sources.list". I will try to go there and remove that nasty url that is now causing neither my software management nor synaptic to work.

Follow-up: Yes, that possibly bogus or malformed url was in the /etc/apt/sources.list. When I removed it, both synaptic and kpackagekit began working again. No harm done. Perhaps it worked in ubuntu, but not in kubuntu.
      ~George
      Linux user #347469

Comment

Strange, It works verry fine for me! Don't have problems with nothing. You sure you did followed the steps

It's actually playing at this moment here on mine computer and works fine with *.mp3 and cd's!
        Did you see the 3 files standing from Amarok at synaptic after adding that url
        The only warning you got after again fetching is this below:

W: GPG-fout: http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty Release: De volgende ondertekeningen konden niet geverifieerd worden omdat de publieke sleutel niet beschikbaar is: NO_PUBKEY B9F1C432AE74AE63

JUST PRESS OK

I did took a screenshot from what you should have and see!! Download this *.jpg file from location:
        http://rapidshare.com/files/231103596/amarok.jpeg.html

You will even see plaing in the corner of mine screen the amarok 1.4.10 and I'm using Kubuntu!

You did probally something wrong

This Url works fine: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

This was also posted at: http://blog.lydiapintscher.de/2009/0...ubuntu-jaunty/

readers comments:
        COMMENT BY JAKOB PETSOVITS
        April 29, 2009 @ 10:01 am
        The other option would be to downgrade to Amarok 1.4, using this package repository with the “amarok14″ package:
        deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
        I’ve been using Amarok 2 since it was released, but I think I’m going back to the old version until metadata editing is usable again, hopefully in 2.2 already. (You know, stuff like “Assign ‘Artist’ tag to all items” or “Assign track numbers iteratively”. The “Edit track info” dialog is just not good enough, and metadata recognition, on my Kubuntu Intrepid/Jaunty, somehow doesn’t work with all audio files that Amarok 1.4 could read without problems.)
        Anyways, you’re doing a great job up there… keep up the good work!

greetz 8)

The diamond can not be polished without friction, <br /> nor a man perfected without trials.

Comment

Thanks again. I may try again later. I understand, though, that there will be some updates to amarok 2 coming soon. I still find it odd, that the developers don't seem to be interested in getting the new amarok to play cds. In the amarok forum, one developer actually said that playing cds was not an important feature for amarok. Anyway, kaffeine will play them. The only thing left is not being able to back up my playlists. It appears the next update will fix that problem ... hopefully.
          ~George
          Linux user #347469

Comment

How are you getting it to play CDs?

Originally posted by windows2003

It's actually playing at this moment here on mine computer and works fine with *.mp3 and cd's!

Comment

Go to action => Play audio cd

But be aware that I use Amarok 1.4.10 at Kubuntu9.04 8)

I did downgrade mine Amarok

Comment

Where did you find the 1.4 version? Have you a link?

Originally posted by windows2003
                Go to action => Play audio cd

But be aware that I use Amarok 1.4.10 at Kubuntu9.04 8)

I did downgrade mine Amarok

Comment

Working...
                X