This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem applying available updates

Whenever the Auto Update software commits the downloads it gets to 100% and gives me this error:

A problem that we were not expecting has occurred.
    Please report this bug with the error description.

Then when I click details it says:

The backend took too much time to process the synchronous request - you need to fork!

I have no idea what it means by need to fork. It seems to apply the updates because when I try and refresh the list it suggests there are no updates to install.

Kpackagekit error-Problem applying available updates

I also see this every time I use Kpackagekit. Since everything appears to install correctly and with no corruption I am assuming that this is a nuisance error that will be fixed in subsequent fixes to Kpackagekit.

If anyone knows or suspects differently, please speak up
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Re: Problem applying available updates

I am also having the same issue.
      However it does seem to be doing the update.

The only warning I had in the system log is this one:

NetworkManager <WARN> list_connections_cb(): Couldn't retrieve connections: No such method 'ListConnections' in interface 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings' at object path '/org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings' (signature '').
      Maybe this is related somehow....
      Did any of you get the same or similar error?

Comment

yes I get it to .....it seams to be just an anoence bug as the pkg still installs

I instaled adept and it works to but the bug remanes

oooo thars a update in the sys tray now

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

You haven't added any new repositories to Sources have you? Even though the KDE update manager is your desktop interface, Apt is still acting as the backend and will crash if there are repository links that are misspelled or malformed. I had this very issue because of a misspelling in a repository statement . If needed, you can drop to a command window and edit the sources list directly in the /etc/apt/ directory. BTW: There are some stability issues with Apt in jaunty (...at least here.)

cheers
          bill
          sigpic
          A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Thx Bill for the tip. I checked the Repositories through apt-get update. Althugh all I saw was the standard IGN ofr US Translations-en messages. the rest ran without any warnings or errors.
            I did find that there was a discussion on the pyPackageIt group about this issue, however it was not clear to me that the fix was every established.
            I think is deals with a child process not sending a finish exit code in time.
            Although the upgrades are being installed in spite of the error message.
            My Brother (in another state) has the exact same issue. He is also running 9.04.
            We did add the Medibuntu Repro to the sources list along with the GPG key.
            I am not sure if this is causing our problem or not, however, since this install is on a test box, I will re-install
            9.04 completely wiping out the partition and re run Kpackageit before adding anything to sources.list.
            I will post my results here.

Comment

Working...
            X