Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sounds works in Amarok and system log in...but no where else...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds works in Amarok and system log in...but no where else...

So I seem to have an odd problem which I can't find much literature on online. My sound has gone from working fine in all applications, to only working in Amarok 2 and when I log in/out of my system (Kubuntu 9.04). The only thing that I can think may have cuased any problem is that I recently installed Pidgin Mesenger. I was having trouble with the sound in that program so I was fiddling with sound options within Pidgin. After I recognized I had a problem I changed everything back in Pidgin, even un-installed it. I don't think this problem has anything to do with Pidgin.....but I'm new to Ubuntu and have no clue where else to look.

Thanks!

Re: Sounds works in Amarok and system log in...but no where else...

Hi,

check at System Settings-> Multimedia -> Backend engine.
    By default on a kubuntu installation it is Phonon Xine backup engine.

Also check you preferred sound device.

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
    Release: 14.04
    Codename: trusty

Comment

I checked my Backend engine and it is Phonon Xine 0.2.60. Within the Deinterlacing box, only DVD is checked, using a Deinterlacing method of "use_vo_driver". My preferred audio device for every category is my Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Standard Playback. Testing this device produces the log-in sound fine. :\

Comment

I am also having the same problem.. sound works only in amarok, dragon player and while bootup..
        no sound from other media players, skype, pidgin etc...
        in mplayer the video gets stuck when i had alsa as the sound driver. when i changed it to pulse, the video was playing but no audio came..

Comment

It looks as though I'm the 3rd person with this issue. I can get sound from Amarok but it's very jumpy. In addition, I don't seem able to get to look at Kmix - it appears to be installed but won't let me open it.

Comment

Check (via kuser)if your user is added to audio group.

Comment

For me, my user is in audio group. but still sound is not coming in the non-default players.

could it be due to the phonon backend that the KDE4 uses by default ??
              Since sound works for me in the default players that comes with KDE4 (amarok and dragon player) the is no issue with my sound card..

Comment

guys check the mixer PCM sound, if its down get it up and see what happen, i had a similar problem and all i had to do to solve it was that.

sorry for my english

Comment

Originally posted by saravanan.2407
                  For me, my user is in audio group. but still sound is not coming in the non-default players.

could it be due to the phonon backend that the KDE4 uses by default ??
                  Since sound works for me in the default players that comes with KDE4 (amarok and dragon player) the is no issue with my sound card..
                  Just wondering... if you open the System Settings and go to "Multimedia", which of the preferred output devices in the list work when you select them and click the "Test" button?

Comment

If the above options don't work download Gnome ALSA Mixer package.. install and run it then try your audio. I had similar problems with my computer and that seemed to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Exonel
                      guys check the mixer PCM sound, if its down get it up and see what happen, i had a similar problem and all i had to do to solve it was that.

sorry for my english
                      Exonel, thanks a lot.. i was a stupid.. i didnt check the PCM, since the sound was coming from amarok i didnt suspect it.

and now sound is fine

thanks a lot.. .

Comment

Working...
                      X