X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knetload monitor

Hello all

I've been using kubuntu 9.04 since it came out and have a question.

I am trying to install an application, the Knetload Monitor, but I keep coming to an error.

Code:
    checking if C++ programs can be compiled... no
    configure: error: Your Installation isn't able to compile simple C++ programs.
    Check config.log for details - if you're using a Linux distribution you might miss
    a package named similar to libstdc++-dev.
    in kpackagekit I can't find this package. I installed the kde develpoment kit but nothing.

In xubuntu 8.04 at my older pc, the application was found via the add/remove window ans was installed ok. an older version than i can find on the internet, but it works. (version 2.2.90 i think)

has anyone installed it in kde4?
    I just love this utility, was used to it in kde3..

Re: Knetload monitor

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libstdc++6-4.3-dev
    Hint: one way of finding packages is :

apt-cache search libstdc++

This will return a list of package candidates.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

thnx for your reply.

the package you mentioned was already installed, along with libstdc++6.

Kpackagekit shows these two installed and 12 more available. the apt-cache search shows a list of packages that I don't know what to choose and why

In software sources I have activated main, universe, multiverse, restricted and source code. Is there another option somewhere that I can install unsupported software? Maybe in such a case the system will also download any packages required to compile and install the KNetLoad Monitor? I can't find anywhere else to change any setting though...

Comment

Do you have package: build-essential ?

build-essential
        ...If you have this package installed, you only need to install whatever a
        package specifies as its build-time dependencies to build the package...
        The knetload needs:
        Build-Depends: debhelper (>> 4.0.0), kdelibs4-dev (>= 4:3.4.2)

Debianiced (kubuntu) source can be found > Ubuntu packages >> knetload
        =>
        knetload_2.3-3.1ubuntu1.diff.gz knetload_2.3-3.1ubuntu1.dsc knetload_2.3.orig.tar.gz

There are also binaries for the amd64/i386...

Link > FAQ: Installing from source

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

ok, here goes:

I followed the link you gave for the "debianced" source
          http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/knetload
          clicked on the nearest server, got asked if I wanted to save it or open with KpackageKit, and said to give it a try. After authenticating, it simply got installed. It works fine, I changed the scale, the colors all ok. BUT:

What I don't like is that I have an older version installed, as in my kubuntu 8.04 in my older pc. (xubuntu 804lts found the same package too).

The package I downloaded from kde-apps and was trying to compile, was knetload-3.0_alpha1.tar.bz2

So I'll try removing this (I already downloaded the .deb package so I can reinstall later) and work with the build-essential package you mentioned.

All this user-friendly environment (using linux since kubuntu 6.06) has left me without real knowledge of how things work in linux. In winxp (and earlier wins) I can tweak and do anything I want. I think the FAQ you linked to will help me a lot in this subject.

Thanks a lot for your help, I'll post any news about the 3.0alpha as soon as I can. bye!

EDIT:
          I installed the build-essential package, and ./configure goes a few steps further. It now stops at:
          Code:
          checking for vsnprintf... yes
          checking for snprintf... yes
          checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!
          I suspect this has something to do with my system not being able to let me modify xorg.conf (http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3103442.0).

I tried it to setup my side mouse buttons but messed up with my resolution. Any ideas? Is it possible that I should reinstall the X-server manually? I haven't found anywhere to specify custom resolutions and refresh rates, and in the system setting menu it only lets me choose from some resolutions, much fewer than my monitor supports. For example in winxp I have 1024*768@85Hz but in kubuntu the only option is 50Hz. An my monitor is not recognized. It just says CRT monitor...

Comment

Working...
          X