X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaffeine crashes PC

Hello,

I've just installed 9.04 and can no longer watch TV using Kaffeine.
    I've been able to scan channels OK but when I go to watch a channel the picture is not very good alot of green pixels covering more than half then image. Then within 10-20 secs I lose desktop, can briefly see a bit of white text on a black screen and PC locks up on a blank screen. I then have to reset PC.
    Kaffeine plays video clips OK it only crashes whilst play TV.
    It worked fine under 8.04 and 8.10.

PC is ASUS P5Ne-Sli mobo, ATI 3870Graphics card and a Hauppauge nova-t-500 dvb-t card.

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Cheers Dave
    Using Kubuntu 17.10 64Bit

Re: Kaffeine crashes PC

It turns out to be the proprietary driver for my ATI graphics card.
    If I do not enable the proprietary driver Kaffeine is able to play DVB fine.
    All video playback is greatly improved also.

I have tried using Kubuntu's hardware drivers setting and downloading the driver directly from ATI and installing myself. Both versions crash my PC.

I have been using Kubuntu since 6.06 this problem nearly made me give up on K/Ubuntu and try something else as it occured with Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I just assumed it must be a bug with the new 9.04 version.

The main problem is the first thing that happens after a new install is you are given the option to install the drivers, which I always do before anything else.
    It appears that enabling the driver with a ATI 3870 graphics card makes the system very unstable.
    I'm sure most newbies would have given up and gone back to Windoze by now.
    I'll just have to wait for ATI to improve their Linux driver.
    Sorry Kubuntu it wasn't your fault after all

Dave
    Using Kubuntu 17.10 64Bit

Comment

Working...
    X