This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network manager/wireless

I'm aware of the bug posted on the release notes page indicating that Jaunty's Network manager will not connect to hidden SSIDs and apparently won't save passwords for WPA encrypted networks.

Is there any known (automated) workaround yet?

My home network has a hidden SSID and WPA password protection, I routinely connect/disconnect laptop clients, and I don't want to have to go thru a bunch of manual processes everytime I try to connect. I am holding back from upgrading Intrepid to Jaunty because of this bug.

Paul

Re: network manager/wireless

Originally posted by pkaplan
    I'm aware of the bug posted on the release notes page indicating that Jaunty's Network manager will not connect to hidden SSIDs and apparently won't save passwords for WPA encrypted networks.

Is there any known (automated) workaround yet?

My home network has a hidden SSID and WPA password protection, I routinely connect/disconnect laptop clients, and I don't want to have to go thru a bunch of manual processes everytime I try to connect. I am holding back from upgrading Intrepid to Jaunty because of this bug.

Paul
    i have wpa-psk at home with the network management plasma widget and it works fine.
    the password is saved in the kwallet.
    no problems.
    as for the hidden ssid...
    it's no use to hide it, 'cause it's not really hidden and anyone really wanting the find it would find it anyway.
    besides, the ssid is only one amongst many other things that are broadcast and that would allow to spot your network anyway.
    my suggestion: make it broadcast and make your life easier.
    hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Working...
    X