This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE works very slow after upgrade to Kubuntu 9.04

I have very strange problem. After upgrading to Kubuntu 9.04 from Kubuntu 8.10 the whole system works veeeery slow. I thought that something went wrong during upgrade process, so I have formated disk and installed 9.04 from scratch. Unfortunately nothing changed... System boots up, KDE is loading. First impression seams to be OK. But problems come when I try to use some GUI apps. Dolphin, Krusader, System Monitor - whatever - the same effect. If app is in small window it works more less OK (closer to less :P, slower then on 8.10). Total failure is when I put app into full screen - KDE freezes, sometimes for good. Even terminal window works the same if I maximize it to full screen. I have done some measuring with system monitor, and it seams that Xorg process is swallowing all processor power if I do something as I describe. When I do some things from console system is responding properly, so my guess is that something is broken with KDE?

Re: KDE works very slow after upgrade to Kubuntu 9.04

I would say that kde 9.04 is some way ahead of its predecessor.

Once you have started up open a terminal and type top. This will monitor all the running processes. Is there anything that seems to be consuming excessive resources?

Comment

Just as I said - Xorg consumes almost all CPU power during launching any application. If bigger the window, then Xorg consumes more CPU. It's fully replicable. I launch terminal in small window, type "top", Xorg consumes more les 5-10 %. But if I hit the full screen, Xorg consumes ~95%. I think, that my problem is similar to the one posted after me here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3103329.0

but I'm a little step further because I know what is cosing this but don't know why, and how to fix it... :/

EDIT:
      When I return from full screen terminal, to default windowed (much smaller) one, Xorg again consumes ~5% CPU power.

Comment

What graphics card have you got?

Also, have you got desktop effects enabled (system settings/desktop?)

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
          What graphics card have you got?
          display Radeon Mobility M6 LY

I have always problems with this card. I have tried few linux distributions and there were always problems with 3D and advanced desktop effects - but never such like this. Without advanced desktop effects any system earlier worked fine.

Originally posted by The Liquidator
          Also, have you got desktop effects enabled (system settings/desktop?)
          They are disable.

EDIT:
          I have turned off font antialiasing and system works slightly better, but still... it's unacceptable...

Comment

How old is the machine and card?

Comment

It's about from 2001. The machine is a laptop Maxdata Pro 660X. It's old machine, I know, but it's power is enough to surf the Internet, writing docs, etc. It worked fine on Kubuntu 8.10. I don't see here (on 9.04) any GUI improvement that may cause so slow work of entire KDE. On Windows XP it's also working very well, so this shouldn't be a case of an old, crappy hardware. Graphic card has it's own 32 MB RAM. It's more then enough to display 2d graphic in 1400x1050 resolution (native resolution of laptop's LCD display).

Here is laptop configuration:

system 4200
              /0 bus Almador System CLEVO:4200-000
              /0/0 memory 101KiB BIOS
              /0/4 processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Mobile CPU 1200MHz
              /0/4/8 memory 32KiB L1 cache
              /0/4/9 memory 512KiB L2 cache
              /0/15 memory 512MiB System Memory
              /0/15/0 memory 256MiB DIMM DRAM Synchronous
              /0/15/1 memory 256MiB DIMM DRAM Synchronous
              /0/100 bridge 82830 830 Chipset Host Bridge
              /0/100/1 bridge 82830 830 Chipset AGP Bridge
              /0/100/1/0 display Radeon Mobility M6 LY
              /0/100/1d bus 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #1
              /0/100/1d.1 bus 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #2
              /0/100/1e bridge 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
              /0/100/1e/2 bus TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
              /0/100/1e/4 eth0 network RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
              /0/100/1e/7 bridge RL5c476 II
              /0/100/1e/7.1 bridge RL5c476 II
              /0/100/1e/7.2 system R5C576 SD Bus Host Adapter
              /0/100/1f bridge 82801CAM ISA Bridge (LPC)
              /0/100/1f.1 scsi0 storage 82801CAM IDE U100 Controller
              /0/100/1f.1/0 /dev/sda disk 40GB HTS424040M9AT00
              /0/100/1f.1/0/1 /dev/sda1 volume 10001MiB Windows NTFS volume
              /0/100/1f.1/0/2 /dev/sda2 volume 517MiB Linux swap volume
              /0/100/1f.1/0/3 /dev/sda3 volume 10GiB EXT3 volume
              /0/100/1f.1/0/4 /dev/sda4 volume 16GiB EXT3 volume
              /0/100/1f.1/1 /dev/cdrom disk DVD reader
              /0/100/1f.3 bus 82801CA/CAM SMBus Controller
              /0/100/1f.5 multimedia 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller
              /0/100/1f.6 communication 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem Controller
              /1 pan0 network Ethernet interface

Comment

I have as a spare machine an old PB EasyoneDC from the same era (Duron 700, ATI Mobility card) that frankly is inadequate to cope with the demands of KDE 4. I suspect yours is of the same era.

I have found it to work a lot better (i.e quicker) with gnome or xfce as the desktop. Can I suggest you install the ubuntu-desktop and the xubuntu - desktop packages to see which one floats your boat. Either of those , I would suggest. would run quicker for you than kde. Try the gnome desktop first as a half-way house. The beauty of linux is, of course, that you can try them all

Ian

Comment

I have as a spare machine an old PB EasyoneDC from the same era (Duron 700, ATI Mobility card) that frankly is inadequate to cope with the demands of KDE 4. I suspect yours is of the same era.
                  Ehm :> Maybe the same era but not the same speed You can't equal Duron 700 and Pentium III Mobile 1,2 Ghz with 512 kB cache on board. This Radeon has also enough power. Hardware is not the case. On kubuntu 8.10 with the same KDE 4.2 everything was working smoothly. Something is broken in Kubuntu 9.04.

I have found it to work a lot better (i.e quicker) with gnome or xfce as the desktop. Can I suggest you install the ubuntu-desktop and the xubuntu - desktop packages to see which one floats your boat. Either of those , I would suggest. would run quicker for you than kde. Try the gnome desktop first as a half-way house. The beauty of linux is, of course, that you can try them all Smiley
                  Yes I may do that, but... I want KDE!! :P Gnome sucks because you can't configure vertical taskbar there... Yes it's essential to me I don't understand why gnome developers ignore such thing... Specially in the era of wide screen monitors, especially those 16:9 #&%$ty crap that steals our work space :/

Comment

Point taken

I don't know whether there are proprietary drivers available for the card but if there are have they been installed?

Comment

This is default driver from kubuntu but it seems to be OK.
                      Command:

glxinfo | grep direct

returns "Yes" so in theory I have even acceleration

Nobody hasn't got any idea what to do with this crap?

Comment

I'm stumped I'm afraid

Comment

I have found perfect "solution" for this problem... I have installed KDE 3.5, and everything works smooth, even better then on kde 4.2 Oh.. almost everything :P Some applications like firefox, open office or krusader don't start, but I think it can be repaired somehow....

Comment

Working...
                          X