This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound recorder: "Your audio capture settings are invalid."

I'm trying to get my microphone to work. I have always found this to be a daunting task under any version of Linux.

When I start up Sound Recorder, it doesn't even have the decency to come up with its own window, but just tells me

"Your audio capture settings are invalid. Please correct them with the "Sound Preferences" under the System-Preferences menu."

To begin with, there is no System-Preferences menu in Jaunty, nor is there a Sound Preferences icon. There is a "System Preferences" under which one finds a "Multimedia" icon. I find the information inside this window to be singularly unhelpful: a list of 3 audio "devices" (Why 3, I only have one sound card?). I would like to try the "Test" button but it is always greyed out.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Sound recorder: "Your audio capture settings are invalid."

Hi,

Normally sound just works out of the box-getting your microphone to work should not be an issue at all. Does system settings >> multimedia show your sound hardware? If not then you have a driver problem with the sound card and need to sort that out.

Linux needs to load a sound module for your sound card at boot, if you have some strange hardware you will need to do a bit of googling to sort it out.

Sound card problems are almost unheard of.

Comment

Originally posted by davidlondon
      Hi,

Normally sound just works out of the box-getting your microphone to work should not be an issue at all. Does system settings >> multimedia show your sound hardware? If not then you have a driver problem with the sound card and need to sort that out.

Linux needs to load a sound module for your sound card at boot, if you have some strange hardware you will need to do a bit of googling to sort it out.

Sound card problems are almost unheard of.
      Untrue - very untrue, except for those not listening.

I have not been able to get sound recording working under Kubuntu. Worked fine when I used Fedora.

Asked on the forums and got no response.

Assumed that nobody knew anything about sound recording and have since stopped trying to get it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer

I have not been able to get sound recording working under Kubuntu. Worked fine when I used Fedora.

Asked on the forums and got no response.

Assumed that nobody knew anything about sound recording and have since stopped trying to get it to work.
        I agree with you. I went thru this once before, with Dapper, I think. At the time, I gave up. I thought I'd give it another whirl with Jaunty, but to no avail.

Guess I'll give up again.
        'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

So in the multimedia setup you can see your sound-card hardware listed and below it 'pulse audio'?

Comment

Originally posted by davidlondon
            So in the multimedia setup you can see your sound-card hardware listed and below it 'pulse audio'?
            Yes. I have no idea what 'pulse audio' means, tho.

When I select it and click on "Test", it plays a short theme.

Continued thanks.

Comment

Same problem here. I have a MacBook (2nd generation) and I can't get the internal michrophone working in Kubuntu Jaunty. The same michrophone worked fine in Hardy and Intrepid.

The audio driver I'm using is HDA Intel and the following configuration is found in System Settings >> Multimedia:

Audio output:
              • HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)
              • HDA Intel (STAC92xx Digital)
              • PulseAudio

Audio capture:

I've also turned up all the sliders in KMix and alsamixer.

Any guesses why the michrophone no longer works? Any additional tests I can make?

Thanks a lot,
              Tiago

Comment

Originally posted by tiagobt
                Same problem here. I have a MacBook (2nd generation) and I can't get the internal michrophone working in Kubuntu Jaunty. The same michrophone worked fine in Hardy and Intrepid.

The audio driver I'm using is HDA Intel and the following configuration is found in System Settings >> Multimedia:

Audio output:
                • PulseAudio

Audio capture:

I've also turned up all the sliders in KMix and alsamixer.

Any guesses why the michrophone no longer works? Any additional tests I can make?

Thanks a lot,
                Tiago
                Yes - I've got the same sound h/w in a desktop.

Pulse Audio is dead. If I test it, I get a message that the Pulse Audio isn't working and the system is dropping back to HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog).

The digital output doesn't work either.

Neither the analog or digital capture works under Kubuntu. Audio capture works fine under Vista.

I've never been able to get the audio capture to work and never found anybody that cares to give advice or is confident enough to do so. I finally just decided that audio capture is one of those areas that few people are concerned with and so very few people know much about it.

I've read that Pulse Audio is supposed to be the next big audio s/w for Linux, but it didn't work under 8.04, 8.10 or 9.04. My guess is that Pulse Audio is still pre-pre-beta.

Comment

Re: Macbook microphone

Prob not going to help, because I have an entirely different machine, but when I run KMix, and go to Settings -> Configure Channels, there're about 35 "channels" I can add to or remove from the mixer: and I'm entirely not sure "Capture", "Mic Boost (+20 dB)", "Mic Front Input" and "Mic Select" were there by default.

The Community Documentation suggests: Enable the channels "Mic as Output", "Capture", and "Input Source". Mute the "Mic as Ouput" channel. "Capture" the "Capture" channel. Select "Mic" as the "Input Source".

Comment

Working...
                  X