This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erroe message-what does it mean???

Refreshing cache failed: W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1)/dists/jaunty/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1)/dists/jaunty/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs , E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

after jaunty install, where to get additional repositories? Thanks for helping newbie.

Re: Erroe message-what does it mean

the error indicates the system looks for software repositories on a cdrom.
    it's likely the cdrom you used for the installation, which is not there anymore.
    you should start the "software packages management tool" (whatever is available) and remove the cdrom from the config.
    after that the error message should go away.
    let's fix this.
    i will then explain you what other repositories you need.
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

thanks for the reply....

no more error message after removing the cdrom repository. worked perfectly.

part 2 of question: where and how do we get additional repositories?

thanks again.

Comment

good.

the next step is to add the medibuntu repositories.
        this is where you get things like: google-earth, realplayer, skype, ... codecs, dvd decrypting lib, ...
        you can follow these instructions.
        there's basically 2 commands you have to copy&paste into a konsole.

after that:
        a) start your package management tool (again)
        b) edit the software sources
        c) under kubuntu software enable both main, restricted, universe, multiverse
        d) under third party software enable partner (the medibuntu stuff should be enabled already)

that's it.
        you don't really need much else.
        99% of the linux/ubuntu world applications is available through the software repositories.
        there's only a handful of applications which are left out.
        in my case: opera, zattoo and sopcast-player

hth

PS:
        a list of packages you will most likely want to install include
        - non-free-codecs (this will also install kubuntu-restricted-extras and windows codecs)
        - libdvdcss2 for reading dvds
        - lame for mp3 encoding (in case you rip your cds and want mp3 encoding)
        gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Working...
        X