This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.Xmodmap problems in KDE 4

Hi. I just upgraded my Kubuntu and encountered some problems. I managed to rid of all of them except one:

there was a customised .xmodmap file in my girlfriend's /home which allowed her to access diacritic signs from two languages in one keyboard layout.

It was working quite OK but now after upgrade my keyboard went crazy - I had alt locked or I could not use it, my up and left arrows weren't working, sometimes there were some strange signs instead of letters...

I removed Xmodmap from both mine and her /home and it's now seems to be all right. But she really do not want to switch to French keyboard layout...

Any ideas what to do with that problem?

Re: .Xmodmap problems in KDE 4

Hi,

The keycodes seem to change from one version to another, so here's a tip to point you in the right direction.

On my dell laptop the # & ~ keys did not work the only way to map the keys to where I wanted them is by seeing what keycode is produced by a key when it is pressed, after that just use the .Xmodmap file to do the mapping.

In my .Xmodmap file I have:

## the hash key gives a hash char
    ## the menu key next to AltGr now does tilde
    xmodmap -e 'keycode 78=numbersign'
    xmodmap -e 'keycode 135=asciitilde'

You find the keycodes by using a little program called xev, just type xev and then press a key, for hash (#) i got the following data
    KeyRelease event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x3000001,
    root 0x10c, subw 0x0, time 2649792, (168,-9), root173,16),
    state 0x0, keycode 78 (keysym 0x23, numbersign), same_screen YES,
    XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 51
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (23) "#"
    XFilterEvent returns: False

I have made bold the bit you need, the keycode. My .Xmodmap file tells the keyboard software to make that key a #. There are keyboard layout files in the system that give you the correct names like 'numbersign' etc. A bit of googling and you should get it working

Comment

Re: .Xmodmap problems in KDE 4

It sounds for me that I am too stupid (or too lazy) to do that :-)

But I may need to...

Thanks a lot anyway, I'll check that later. I do understand how it's working, so using your tip I will be able to do that.

Comment

Working...
      X