This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't install CNR in Kubuntu 9.04

When I try to install the CNR Client from www.cnr.com in Kubuntu 9.04 I get an error saying something about: libapt-pkg-libc6.4-6-3.53. Any help would be appreciated. I must tell you I am very experienced with Windows and Mac Operating Systems as well as a bunch of older ones: DOS etc.. But yesterday was the very first time I have tried Linux. So when I comes to Linux I don't know crap. Thanks for any help.

Re: Can't install CNR in Kubuntu 9.04

Knowing nothing whatever about your CNR client package, I would advise that you:

a. make sure you're following the "readme.txt" guidance that normally comes with such things and

b. capture the full error output from the Konsole window (write it out if you have to). Linux errors are usually fairly informative. Post the full error here, and maybe it will mean something to someone.

Comment

Ok, using the GDebi Package Installer and NOT the KPackageKit (because that one won't allow me to get details it just closes out, like it crashed). In the GDebi Package Installer in red it says: Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6-4.6 And that is all is says. When I click on details it shows nothing. I also followed the instructions for installing to a "t". I also can't install quite a few programs on getdeb.net. For example Filezilla, I tried both versions. I get error in red that says: Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: filezilla-common (=3.2.4.1-1~getdeb1) again that is using the GDebi Package Installer. I also tried to instal the Filezilla-Common first and same issue. Is it normal to have this many problems installing .deb files? I am new to Linux but it doesn't seem it should be this big of a problem. Thanks for any help.

Comment

Well, for one, do you have getdeb.net knowing which version of Kubuntu/Ubuntu you're using? But more importantly I get the impression you might not know about the repositories and how [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package_management_system]package management[/url works. It's pretty simple, though!

You shouldn't have to download stuff for places like getdeb.net except in the odd cases of things being too new or otherwise restricted so that they don't end up in the repositories (I mean, downloading install files from websites? That's soooo 1990s and Windows ).

For example, if you open up Adept or KPackageKit you should be able to find Filezilla and install it from within there. If for whatever reason that isn't working for you, you can always open a Konsole window and type in

Code:
        sudo aptitude install filezilla
        and soon you should be golden.

I don't know much about CNR but honestly it looks a bit sketchy

Actually your best bet, since Adept is being phased out and KPackageKit is still new, might be to go

Code:
        sudo aptitude install synaptic
        and then use that to browse for and install programs, it's the GUI tool for doing so that's native to Gnome/Ubuntu but it'll run in KDE/Kubuntu just fine too. The repositories have tons and tons of apps and libraries, so for the most part you shouldn't have much trouble finding apps that will suit your needs.

(Apologies if you already knew about centralized package management and the whole "installing from safe, easy, authenticated software repositories" paradigm, but in case you didn't I figured it'd be important to let you know.)

Comment

KeithZG,

Wow! No I never knew about the repositories. I did find Adept before reading your post though. But even filezilla wasn't in Adept from what I could see. But when following your instructions: sudo aptitude install filezilla, typed into terminal I had it in seconds!

Years ago I tried Lycoris Linux and had so many issues that I never tried Linux again. I did learn one thing and that was that I prefer KDE over Gnome. So recently when I tried Kubuntu, I was very impressed at how well put togeather the OS is.

I have a final question: I plan on starting up a business that deals with silk screening and imprintables. I want to try and run some of the computers that will be in the shop off from Kubuntu. The sad part is as you probably know, I need to run some commercial apps. I do know that Corel Draw was/is available for Linux but it is an ancient version. I don't want to emulate any apps, I want to run software native for what ever I need. I also went to school and learned and only really know Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro very well. I am unfamiliar with Gimp. Just in the software I mentioned would cost a fortune per computer I would use at the shop. Do you have any suggestions? Is their software as complex as Corel Draw and Photoshop to be used in a printing business outside of Gimp? I am not against using Gimp, it is just very much different than what I know how to use. If there is any other software I could use for such a business please let me know. Even if they are commercial, I'm going to have to buy some commercial apps anyway. I would rather give Kubuntu a try, I am very happy with how it is working.

Thanks
          -Jim

Comment

Well, not to be nitpicky but even if you're against using an emulator you can definitely run things in Wine; after all, Wine stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator"! Basically it's just a compatibility layer; actually, lately I've come across some Windows applications that crash or have other errors for my friends using Windows, but run perfectly fine under Wine, so actually these days Wine sometimes provides a more "sane" Windows environment than Windows really does! You can see over here that although the current development version of Wine has a weird error you might have to work around to get Photoshop installed, after that everything apparently works perfectly.

(From what I remember, not too long ago Google threw some manpower behind seriously improving Wine's ability to run Photoshop....as a company where about half their employees use a Google version of Ubuntu they were probably frustrated in exactly the same way you are! So they put their fingers to their keyboards and helped themselves and everyone else run Photoshop in Linux).

Another option for running Corel Draw and Photoshop would be to use something like Virtualbox or VMWare and have an entire install of Windows running in a virtual machine.

Personally I've always found the GIMP able to do anything that Photoshop can do but I'll admit I have never used it in a business environment! Another option you could look into is Krita, it's native to KDE and it's quite an interesting program, personally I find it easier and more straightforward than GIMP but still with quite a bit of power...again though I really haven't used any of these programs in any kind of business environment, so I don't know for sure if it'll be suitable for you.

There really aren't that many proprietary programs for Linux that are better than the open source ones, the open development model where anyone can contribute new code and bugfixes tends to get the best results IMHO.

Uhhhh to sum up I guess I'm saying:

(1) The two biggest graphics apps for Linux are the GIMP and Krita, and I wouldn't be surprised if they could get the job done for you, at least most of the time.
            (2) Photoshop runs quite perfectly using Wine these days, try it out, I mean it's basically running natively in Linux then, just it looks a bit uglier than everything else
            (3) Worse comes to worse you could run a full, true Windows install with VirtualBox or VMWare

Hopefully one of those options works for you....but yeah, sometimes the commercial world's obsession with Windows forces you into a corner. Best of luck, though!

Comment

Working...
            X