This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct Screenm Res?

I have Kubuntu 904 on my dell desktop and by default it was set at 1024x768 for the screen with ( auto ) beside it in system settings box, i then asked for 1280x1024 and the screen was very nice then, clicked save and then every time i turn the machine back on the old ( 768 ) is the resoultion. Once i open system settings and click on display the screen blanks and im back to 1024 again ( 768 still has auto beside it ). How do i tell it i only ever want 1024 to be default screen?
    Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Re: Correct Screenm Res?

When you change the screen res to 1280x1024-instead of leaving it on auto for the monitor frequency, choose the highest one and see if that works.

Comment

Originally posted by natman2007
      I have Kubuntu 904 on my dell desktop and by default it was set at 1024x768 for the screen with ( auto ) beside it in system settings box, i then asked for 1280x1024 and the screen was very nice then, clicked save and then every time i turn the machine back on the old ( 768 ) is the resoultion. Once i open system settings and click on display the screen blanks and im back to 1024 again ( 768 still has auto beside it ). How do i tell it i only ever want 1024 to be default screen?
      I observed this exact same problem when I installed Kubuntu 9.04 on a Dell Dimension 2350 two weeks ago. It has an Intel 82845 graphics chip, if I remember correctly. I could not fix it. When she boots it, the user has to click KMenu>System Settings>Display, and as soon as she clicks the icon, it pops back to 1280x1024 @60Hz and she can use it. But I never figured out what it would take to make that setting permanent -- there is some bug in the system somewhere that keeps it from reading the setting correctly upon bootup.

Comment

the only option is 60hz i clicked that and did a reboot, same problem again. How do X to re configure?
        Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Comment

To do it manually you need to add a modeline in the xorg.conf file. This means getting the specs for your monitor and constructing a modeline that kubuntu will see as valid, here's an example of a monitor section:

Section “Monitor”
          Identifier "Monitor0"
          VendorName "unknown"
          ModelName "unknown"
          #Option “DPMS” “true”
          HorizSync 30.0 - 75.0 # Warning: This may fry old Monitors
          VertRefresh 50.0 - 70.0 # Very conservative. May flicker.
          Modeline "1280x1024" 80 1280 1296 1512 1568 1024 1025 1037 1165 Interlace
          EndSection

It could be that kubuntu cannot figure out a modeline for that resolution or it is not a good idea for your display and kubuntu is being wise.

Look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf - that is where the hardware is configured. Get some specs for your display and you should be able to figure it out. Best to copy 'xorg.conf' to 'xorg.conf.org' first so that if you do mess up you can change back via console.

Comment

Working...
          X