X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy freeze-up problem

Greetings everyone,

Last saturday, I upgraded my Kubuntu 8.10 installation (running smoothly) to 9.04. Since then, I have experienced at least 10 total freezes (it just locks up, mouse pointer does still react, but nothing else does), happening whenever I tried more than the most basic tasks. It froze up with matlab, with konqueror, with firefox and with thunderbird. At first I thought the mozilla-things were to blame, as that is where it started. I uninstalled them, but it keeps occuring. The only solution to it is a forced shut-down and reboot.

Hardware is a Dell Inspiron 640m, with basic chipset, graphics card and an Intel PRO/wireless network card.

Can anyone help me with this problem, preferably without having to revert to 8.10 (I like the faster boot-times of Jaunty!)

With kind regards,
    Purplemess

Re: Heavy freeze-up problem

You have to discover the process that is sucking up all the CPU time. Open a Konsole window and run
    Code:
    and park that window where you can keep an eye on it. When the system is "frozen", you will be able to see that the first listed process is using 100% of the CPU -- you need the name of that process.

Comment

That does not work, when it freezes it truly freezes. My clock does not run anymore, and the konsole with top open does not refresh. At the last point of freeze it had Xorg as the highest process, with 8.3% cpu used by it.

With regards,
      Purplemess

Comment

Same problem with my Kubuntu 9.04 fresh install.

Comment

I'm getting the same thing as well... it seems like my biggest issue is Amarok screwing things up right now.

Comment

Raven8 in other thread suggested the solution, I think it works, at least for me:

Do you have desktop effects turned ON? If so try to turn them OFF.
            Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

I have the same problem. The strange thing is that the screen freez but music in amarok keeps playing. Hope turning of desktop effects work.

Comment

I got the same problem with fresh installation on my Laptop "Dell Inspiron 510m" (With Latitude D505 mb) "don't ask xD".

At first .. I installed Kubuntu 9.04 on my desktop.
                It runs just fine with no trouble at all.
                ---------
                Intel Core 2 Due 3GHz
                4GB RAM 800Mhz
                Nvidia 8800GT 512 MB
                Built in Audio Intel Motherboard DP35DP
                ---------

On my laptop however, I installed Ubuntu 9.04 & it started crashing, I then switched to Kubuntu (Another fresh install) & the problem still happens, notice that the desktop effects are disabled by default.

---------Dell Laptop---------
                Intel Cintrino 1.7GHz
                768MB RAM
                Intel VGA
                ---------

It used to crash when web browsing that I thought it's Firefox problem, but then it crashes when screen saver is running ... it even crashed during the splash screen after restart.

During crashes, the mouse still moves .. however you cannot click anything, I didn't try "Ctrl + Alt + F1", but zapping "Ctrl + Alt +Backspace" doesn't seem to work, you should kill the whole thing by the "Alt + SysRq + r + ....." or Hard reset.

I think it's a serious problem with the OS & not just Kubuntu .. as I mentioned .. it happens on both "Ubuntu" & "Kubuntu"

Comment

Originally posted by 0x00FE
                  I got the same problem with fresh installation on my Laptop "Dell Inspiron 510m" (With Latitude D505 mb) "don't ask xD".

At first .. I installed Kubuntu 9.04 on my desktop.
                  It runs just fine with no trouble at all.
                  ---------
                  Intel Core 2 Due 3GHz
                  4GB RAM 800Mhz
                  Nvidia 8800GT 512 MB
                  Built in Audio Intel Motherboard DP35DP
                  ---------

On my laptop however, I installed Ubuntu 9.04 & it started crashing, I then switched to Kubuntu (Another fresh install) & the problem still happens, notice that the desktop effects are disabled by default.

---------Dell Laptop---------
                  Intel Cintrino 1.7GHz
                  768MB RAM
                  Intel VGA
                  ---------

It used to crash when web browsing that I thought it's Firefox problem, but then it crashes when screen saver is running ... it even crashed during the splash screen after restart.

During crashes, the mouse still moves .. however you cannot click anything, I didn't try "Ctrl + Alt + F1", but zapping "Ctrl + Alt +Backspace" doesn't seem to work, you should kill the whole thing by the "Alt + SysRq + r + ....." or Hard reset.

I think it's a serious problem with the OS & not just Kubuntu .. as I mentioned .. it happens on both "Ubuntu" & "Kubuntu"
                  I was told on the ubuntu forums board the control+alt+backspace won't work past 8.04, and if you want to add it from the repositories it is under dontzap and you have to download it and activate it manually.

Comment

Originally posted by cptrohn

I was told on the ubuntu forums board the control+alt+backspace won't work past 8.04, and if you want to add it from the repositories it is under dontzap and you have to download it and activate it manually.
                    Thanks .. am aware of that ; )

I forgot to mention "After enabling zap options" which I've already enabled.

Code:
                    sudo apt-get install dontzap && sudo dontzap --disable
                    Thanks for the notice.

Comment

Originally posted by dagi
                      I have the same problem. The strange thing is that the screen freez but music in amarok keeps playing. Hope turning of desktop effects work.
                      In this case, the problem is clearly JUST a video issue.

@Purplemess, even if the Konsole window is frozen so the "top" display is not updated, that can still be explained as a video problem.

This seems to be happening mostly on Dell hardware. Are those all Intel graphics chips? To prove that it is limited to a video issue, you could boot into console mode (choose it from the menu on the login GUI) and let it run overnight. If it is still running in the morning, I think that would prove that the problem is limited to video. Then you can begin to investigate what is going with video on the Dell graphics systems.

That's all I have to offer -- I have not seen this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

In this case, the problem is clearly JUST a video issue.

@Purplemenss, even if the Konsole window is frozen so the "top" display is not updated, that can still be explained as a video problem.

This seems to be happening mostly on Dell hardware. Are those all Intel graphics chips? To prove that it is limited to a video issue, you could boot into console mode (choose it from the menu on the login GUI) and let it run overnight. If it is still running in the morning, I think that would prove that the problem is limited to video. Then you can begin to investigate what is going with video on the Dell graphics systems.

That's all I have to offer -- I have not seen this problem.
                        I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 remix on my Dell Inspiron mini 9 ... no trouble till now.
                        I tried running www.cooliris.com on all of my computers .. it seems to work on my desktop, netbook but not the laptop.

Might be an issue with video drivers on old Dell computers with Intel VGAs as mentioned.

I'll give the console a try & hope to give a feedback on it.

Comment

Ok, for a short experiment ... I started my computer into console & ran "top".

After a while .. I came back & the screen was blank (with backlit) ... I pressed escape to restore it ... then I thought to turn the screen off I'll close the lid of the laptop. So I did & then opened it again .. but I cannot see the screen anymore .. it was black with no backlit (turned off) it refused to start.
                          I tried this again to confirm (after rebooting).. I had to blindly quit the top process & reboot the machine.

I'll continue without closing the lid to see if it crashes anyways.

Comment

I am indeed running on basic intel graphics chipset. The exact thing is an "Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller" (straight out of a sudo lshw command)

As I desperately needed my laptop to run reliably for study purposes (doing alot of computational physics assignments lately), I reverted back to 8.10 with a fresh install. So far, that seems to run stable again. I have not tried 9.04 while in CLI-mode, so I can't tell whether it occurs there too. What I did notice is that it only occured to me at points of user interaction. I had it run for quite some time without user interaction (copying my homedir to an external drive in preparation to the revert) and it did not freeze up. For me, it always froze when I was actively working with it.

With regards,
                            Purplemess

Comment

I've concluded the experiment ... my laptop has been running for good over 16 hours without problems (Booted into Console) running "top" process & "BOINC" @ almost 99% of the CPU full time.

However as I mentioned before, when I close the lid of the laptop & open it again I cannot restore the screen back & I have to reboot (I can restore it in GUI mode though).

Basically I vote for video card driver problem.

P.S: Another thread complaining about slow performance on ATI graphics card after upgrading to 9.04.
                              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3103423.0

Comment

Working...
                              X