X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do I get kdm running on multi displays not using twinview [nvidia]

Hello,

I had been running kubuntu 8.04 for a while with xorg configured [using nvidia-settings] for dual displays NOT in twinview mode. It seemed a bit odd at first, not being able to drag apps from one display to the other, but I got used to it and eventually really appreciated that there were two completely separated instances of kdm running for this purpose.

Upon installing 8.10 and its updates to follow, I was able to configure xorg the same way but kdm would only open a desktop on one display [leaving the second black but with the x cursor visble if one scrolled onto that display]. At the same time, kde4 exhibited difficulty displaying any video properly - page tearing was happening all the time, making video playback unacceptable. I looked around the net, found a few proposed solutions [everything from turning off kde4's desktop effects to altering some of the more esoteric settings for the nvidia driver such as forcing VSYNC], but nothing actually fixed the problem.

Kubuntu 9.04 is doing things the same way - twinview works OK as a desktop, but video playback is still in the same unacceptable state. Attempting to configure xorg as separate dual displays gives the same result, too.

There's probably a very simple solution to the dual display [non-twinview] issue, I just haven't been able to find it yet.

If anyone has any idea on that, I'd appreciate a pointer.. same goes for the video playback issue, for that matter.

Thanks all,
    D

Re: how do I get kdm running on multi displays not using twinview [nvidia]

Search on xrandr. This should teach you how to modify your xorg.conf file to support multiple monitors.

Comment

Working...
    X