This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KPackageKit != Add/Remove

Since I upgraded to 9.04 I've been having trouble installing programs the easy way.

Back in 8.04 (KDE3), the Add/Remove program was easy, you can easily identify the software you need & simply click it & install it without having to worry about dependencies & other issues. (It was just ready to be run & have icon in the menu).

That's not the case with "KPackageKit"
    I had trouble installing "VLC", when you search for "vlc" you get few results that you do not know what do you really need to install, same case with other applications.
    I had to:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install vlc
    There seem to be a bug as well, because when you specify a category to search within e.x "games", then search "Firefox" it displays all packages not results within "games". (I know, your thinking why is he searching "Firefox" within games?! It should not display "Firefox" but it does, because it leaves the category specified by the user).

The idea is you cannot search within the category you want, that's one thing. And you cannot easily install packages as you could before in the add/remove in KDE3.

I'm sorry, but I really hate it : (

I prefer the previous (Add/Remove) & (Adept Manager) each alone, where you can easily install applications through (Add/Remove) & can search for specific applications in (Adept Manager) that you wouldn't find in (Add/Remove).

Anyone noticed this?
    And is there any other easy way to easily install software as before?

Re: KPackageKit != Add/Remove

If you want you can still install "adept manager" in 9.04. Just go in to KpackageKit and do a search for adept and install it from there.

Comment

"Anyone noticed this [re KPackageKit] ?"
      Yep. And you have to flip the negative icon/button "-" to light up Apply.
      Ditto for the backward changes to Konqueror and some other things in GUI (where is Storage Devices? or something akin to Disk & Filesystems?).

Lots of unusual, non-intuitive stuff, I agree. You're not alone, I'm sure.
      But, careful, let's not start a rant.
      What we need is the "best" place for making positive, constructive suggestions for future releases. I've seen it somewhere, or suggestions for such (not bug reports).
      My attitude for now is to have fun with it, play with it, learn about it on a "test" partition.
      Meanwhile, thanks to kitterma for 8.04.2
      A lot of us here, 0x00FE, have been messing with sidux -- give it a spin on a test partition, just for kicks. It is also moving to KDE4, and that will be interesting also.

One thing for sure: 9.04 is very _pretty_ ... very well done that way, and it's clear the guys have really put a lot of good work into it.

Also: Synaptic?
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Actually I just posted this in the new users section in reply to something there, but there's always Synaptic....I know, Gnome, boo hiss etc heh, but as much as I preferred KDE3's Adept it's actually closer in many respects to that than even KDE4's Adept was.

Coming down the pipe sometime too is a GTK frontend for Aptitude being developed over in the motherland (ie. Debian). The package is in http://packages.debian.org/experimental/aptitude-gtk"]Experimental right now[/url] but unfortunately it seems to depend on a version of aptitude that's much newer than the version in Jaunty.

That being said, howabout a semi-GUI interface? Ncurses for the win? By that i mean, open up Konsole and just type in "sudo aptitude" without any arguments, voila. Definitely not as user-friendly as Synaptic, but hey, you've already got it installed anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
          My attitude for now is to have fun with it, play with it, learn about it on a "test" partition.
          Pretty much what I've been doing myself, albeit with a test laptop install instead (KDE4, even 4.2, still fails too seriously on my weird Nvidia TwinView setup on my main computer to even be usable, since things just keep glitching and crashing...but when I'm not forced to use it, and instead get to play with fancy things and impress other people glancing over at my laptop in the bar, then KDE4 is pretty neat. And hey, I wouldn't want to upgrade my 8.04 computer yet anyways... it'd ruin my multi-month uptime!).

Comment

I think it was Synaptic* that I meant not "Adept"

Just tried it, nope, not what I wanted.

The "KPackageKit" is just like the "Adept Manager" or "Synaptic"

What I wanted is the simple "Add/Remove" that used to be in KDE3.

Originally posted by Qqmike
            "Anyone noticed this [re KPackageKit] ?"
            Yep. And you have to flip the negative icon/button "-" to light up Apply.
            Yes I'm aware of the add thing ; )

And yes, I do know there is a lot of effort & I really congratulate the people behind it.

Sorry if my post seemed to look like a "rant", didn't mean to.
            I'd love to know where I can post those positive feedbacks (Not bugs). Can we establish this in this forum? Instead of having to register somewhere else?

Originally posted by KeithZG
            And hey, I wouldn't want to upgrade my 8.04 computer yet anyways... it'd ruin my multi-month uptime!).
            Wish I could do that, I was running 8.04 on my desktop (Now 9.04) which is dual boot (Windows for games only!).
            So you have to reboot at least every weekend or so.

Thanks for your nice replies. ; )

Comment

0x00FE: "Sorry if my post seemed to look like a "rant", didn't mean to."

I didn't mean you! I meant me -- my post was sounding like a rant.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

oh, lol .. nah ..wouldn't consider it that way myself.

I like your posts, as well as other members here. It's a pleasure being in such a nice community.

: )

Comment

Working...
                X