This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

change default python from 2.6 to 2.5

I have a couple programs that don't work with python 2.6 (the default version for jaunty) and I was wondering if it is a way to set python 2.5 as default ?

Re: change default python from 2.6 to 2.5

Hey there,

I'm not sure if this is what you want to do, so if it's not, ignore this reply.

Downgrading a package:

If you want to downgrade a package, this command will downgrade the package to the version you choose. There is no need for you to remove the current version first. Open a terminal window and type this command, replacing XXX in this example with the name of the package you wish to downgrade, and replace YYY with the version number you've chosen to downgrade the package to:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install XXX=YYY
    Example showing the amarok package being downgraded:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install amarok=2:1.4.7-0ubuntu3
    Locking a package:

If you want to lock the package at a specific version once you've downgraded it, type this command in a terminal window, replacing XXX with the name (the version number is not needed) of the package you wish to lock:

Code:
    echo "XXX hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections
    Example showing the amarok package being locked:

Code:
    echo "amarok hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections
    Unlocking a package:

If you change your mind and want to unlock the package so it can be upgraded, type this command in a terminal window, replacing XXX in this example with the name (the version number is not needed) of the package you wish to unlock:

Code:
    echo "XXX install" | sudo dpkg --set-selections
    Example showing the amarok package being unlocked:

Code:
    echo "amarok install" | sudo dpkg --set-selections
    There is no spoon.

Author of the Mostly Linux blog.

Comment

Working...
    X