Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storage devices in Konqueror or elsewhere?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storage devices in Konqueror or elsewhere?

Where is anything like Storage Devices, in terms sda, sdb, sdax, etc.?

I work in Konqueror; nothing under Media. Upon re-booting, though, I do get /media/disk-, /media/disk-1, etc. behind which I find some & various partitions.
    I usually have a couple HDDs and 10-20 partitions.
    I checked Dolphin, which I don't use, but the issue is moot: no clearly identifiable partitions by sdxn.
    sudo fdisk -lu does list all partitions correctly.
    The 9.04 installer did see all partitions.
    Have checked many things, including the Konqueror site, can't get anything on this.
    I don't really wish to edit fstab extensively or to have all partitions mounted automatically upon booting.
    Nothing I can find in K-Menu.
    Know how to use CLI but wish to identify the GUI for this.

I'll probably feel silly after posting this, but have worn myself out here on other issue as well and probably am not seeing this just now.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Re: Storage devices in Konqueror or elsewhere?

Originally posted by Qqmike

I'll probably feel silly after posting this ...
    I'll do my best ....

Actually, for practical purposes, Dolphin shows your partitions down the left side of the panel, plus your USB stick when you plug it in. I've labeled all 10 of my partitions, and that helps a lot. Kinfocenter (needs to be installed) >Partitions provides a nice view of the state of utilization -- comes close to the old gnome utility, as a graphic.

Comment

Thx, I think, dibl
      What happened to Konqueror? Is there no way to enable anything there (it worked in the past).
      My Dolphin (which I don't use but have opened a dozen times today), only shows Volume (ext3) (a bunch of them, but not for all partitions). No identification, unless as you say, you have to set them up in fstab or in GParted with labels.
      But Konqueror is really what I need/use here for such.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I use the Device Notifier Widget, it sits on the task bar.
        Whenever something external is connected it pops up an offer to mount it and it's also the place to unmount.

And I changed the 'file' association of directories so they are opened in Konqueror instead of Dolphin

Comment

Yes, the Device Notifier works for flash drives and such.
          But I have a problem keeping track of 9 partitions on one HDD; usually I use two HDDs (and many partitions) but haven't yet connected a second. Has Konqueror been tweaked "backwards" not to work like it always has?

Teunis: "And I changed the 'file' association of directories so they are opened in Konqueror instead of Dolphin"

I thought I had done that but it didn't do the trick for Device Notifier (devices open in Dolphin). I used Konqueror, Settings, Configure Konqueror, File Assoc, Inode, Directories, and bumped Konqueror above Dolphin. Didn't work on the Device Notifier--I still get Dolphin.

There is, I think, another File Assoc menu somewhere, maybe K > Settings.

Comment

Working...
          X