This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9.04> higher core temperature

I have installed 9.04 on another partition of the same machine where I also have 8.10 with KDE 4.2 (launchpad updates).
    I am noticing a sensible increase in core temperature as the computer is idle, with no other programs than the standard services that come with a fresh install.

While on the 8.10 I get temperatures around 42C on 9.04 it jumps to 55C.
    cpuinfo:

processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 15
    model : 63
    model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
    stepping : 2
    cpu MHz : 2200.000
    cache size : 512 KB
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmovpat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow up rep_good pni lahf_lm
    bogomips : 4422.13
    TLB size : 1024 4K pages
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management: ts fid vid ttp

Any thoughts?

Re: 9.04> higher core temperature

Probably a process that keeps the CPU from throttling down... watch
    Code:
    and see if anything looks suspicious.

And, in System Monitor, get a new tab (sheet) and place the CPU Load -> CPU 1 -> Clock Frequency in it to confirm you are staying at full throttle.

It might just be that with the new install, an index is building and once you are up for a few hours things will settle down.

Comment

There is another app, powertop, which is useful for this also. Some of the solutions it offers are only partially correct but Google can help youfind correct answers. One thing i found that helps a lot is to remove the splash from the menu.lst file boot options. This keeps a daemon running and checking so it can splash the screen when you shutdown.

Change the options line to look like
      # defoptions=quiet
      in /boot/grub/menu.lst and run
      sudo update-grub, and reboot.

Comment

Thanks so much guys
        I figured it out. It was a lot easier that anyone thought.

I Use my computers with boinc. Both partitions had boinc running and I knew this but what i did not realize was that one was working on a unit which was more intensive than the other.
        Once I suspended projects on both partitions, the temperatures became the same.
        I am attaching a plotter shot where one can see clearly when boinc is turned on. On the other partition I was only getting a spike but the speed would reduce afterwards.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X