Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soundissue: choosing different output devices for different apps don't work well

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soundissue: choosing different output devices for different apps don't work well

Hi

Small problem here. I'm trying to set up kde to use different devices for different apps. More specifically I want my games to be using my USB-headset and the rest to use the sound card.

So I went into system settings -> multimedia and reorganized the device priority list for games so that the headset is first priority. Tested it with the test jingle while playing music in amarok and it seemed to be working fine, i. e. music came from the speakers and the test jingle in my headset at the same time. However, when I launch a game app, the game still uses the soundcard and is blending together with the music in the speakers. So not working great after all.

A couple of questions before I proceed: do I need to restart something (X, kdm, hal, computer, whatever) for the changes to take effect? Does the game apps have to send some kind of signal to make kde/kubuntu/linux understand that it is a game app and thus treat it as one (multimediawise), adn could it be missing?

Whatever the answers, is this fixable, and what can I do?

System:
    Jaunty - kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
    KDE 4.2.2
    Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    Headset: C-Media Electronics, Inc. Audio Adapter
Working...
X