This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic menu in "Computer" view buggy?

I thought I'd use two classic menus: one for apps/shutdown options, another in "Computer" view for quick access to System Settings, Dolphin "Places", and removable storage.

But

(1) the "Computer" menu never actually lists any removable media under that heading, and

(2) whenever I click a "Place", it opens it twice. Sometimes my FTP places were opened four times. No, I don't double-click...

Is that just my wacko Heron->Ibex->Jackalope install?

(And does anyone know how to put more stuff into the "Applications" cateogry of the "Computer" menu, non-classic or classic?)

Re: Classic menu in "Computer" view buggy?

For your last question, right click on K and choose menu editor.

Comment

Really? I meant the little extra "Applications" category at the top of either the "Computer" view of the classic menu, or the "Computer" of the Kickoff menu.

Aw, whatever, let's have a screenshot.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by abalone
        I thought I'd use two classic menus: one for apps/shutdown options, another in "Computer" view for quick access to System Settings, Dolphin "Places", and removable storage.

But

(1) the "Computer" menu never actually lists any removable media under that heading, and

(2) whenever I click a "Place", it opens it twice. Sometimes my FTP places were opened four times. No, I don't double-click...

Is that just my wacko Heron->Ibex->Jackalope install?
        Could somebody verify or "debunk" this for me?...

Pretty please?

Comment

You are right. It can not be edited in the menu editor. I have looked to see where that and the Leave tab are implemented so I could configure them and I can not find them. I think they must be compiled in. To me this is problematic because the End Session does a reboot instead of restarting the X server.

Rog131 may have better knowledge about this. I have been hoping he would enlighten us.

Comment

Ah, well, at least I can stop searching. What about the missing storage devices and the extraneous Dolphin windows opening on clicking a "Place" bookmark? I went back to Kickoff, though.

Comment

(1) the "Computer" menu never actually lists any removable media under that heading,
              Here, the new clean Jaunty installation is showing the removable media.

(And does anyone know how to put more stuff into the "Applications" cateogry of the "Computer" menu, non-classic or classic?)
              A clumsy way is to edit the ~/.kde/share/config/kickoffrc.

=>

Example:

Adding to the kickoffrc
              Code:
              [SystemApplications]
              DesktopFiles=kde4-kpackagekit.desktop,systemsettings.desktop
              So the Kickoff/Computer will show the KPackageKit and Systems Settings

Hmm - a gui would be a nice add on... and a guide...
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
                (1) the "Computer" menu never actually lists any removable media under that heading,
                Here, the new clean Jaunty installation is showing the removable media.
                I was talking about the "Classic" menu when switched to a "Computer" view. It gives you a "classic-style" menu with Applications, Places, and Removable Storage divisions (as per my screenshot). Removable media do show up for me but only in the Kickoff "Computer" tab (and the Device Notifier).

Oh, while we're at it... any idea how to configure the "media actions"? I don't want to be offered only Dragonplayer for DVDs, it just doesn't work as well as Kaffeine...

A clumsy way is to edit the ~/.kde/share/config/kickoffrc (when KDE is not running)

=>

Example:

Adding to the kickoffrc
                Code:
                [SystemApplications]
                DesktopFiles=kde4-kpackagekit.desktop,systemsettings.desktop
                Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Comment

Oh, while we're at it... any idea how to configure the "media actions"? I don't want to be offered only Dragonplayer for DVDs, it just doesn't work as well as Kaffeine...
                  Device Notifier plasma-widget ?

The KDE actions are "guided" by the .desktop files > Topic: GtoK: .desktop files and the Harald Sitter is telling more > Dragons, DVDs and New Device Notifiers...

With the Kaffeine. Making a kaffeine-opendvd.desktop:
                  Code:
                  [Desktop Entry]
                  X-KDE-Solid-Predicate=[[ StorageVolume.ignored == false AND OpticalDisc.availableContent ==
                   'Data|VideoDvd' ] OR [ StorageVolume.ignored == false AND OpticalDisc.availableContent ==
                   'Data|VideoDvd' ]]
                  Type=Service
                  Actions=open;

[Desktop Action open]
                  Name=Open with Kaffeine
                  Exec=kaffeine dvd://
                  Icon=kaffeine
                  X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=desktop_kdemultimedia
                  ... dropping it to the /usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/

Exec line for the VLC:
                  Code:
                  Exec=vlc dvd://
                  and with the SMPlayer:
                  Code:
                  Exec=smplayer dvd://1
                  So now the "Device Notifier" is offering 7 actions for the DVD:

...and those .desktop files as .deb packages > PPA / Package name contains: device-notfier-action-opendvd-with
                  Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                  1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                  2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks! It works

Comment

Thanks again to Rog131 for the great explanations.

But couldn't somebody add a classic "Application Launcher Menu" widget to their panel, bring up its settings and switch it from "Standard" to "Computer" view, and then see if
                      (a) removable media appear in it and
                      (b) clicking Places opens too many Dolphin (or Konq, whatever) windows
                      ?

Then I'd know if it's just me.

Thank you

Comment

It is not just you. It took me a while to figure out how you were getting the image you put up there. Finally figured it out yesterday. I just did as you asked and a USB drive does not show up in removable devices when set in classic style and computer view. The same device did pop up the Devices applet and it showed up in my Kickoff style menu. When I change this AL back to kickoff style the device showed up. Clicking opened 2 dolphin windows.

Comment

Good! I mean... bad. But at least it's not my fault 8)

Comment

Working...
                          X