This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software update notifier not working

I had a working Intrepid installation that was upgraded to Jaunty and KDE 4.2.2 a while back. Since upgrading to Jaunty I have noticed for a while that my update notifier is not notifying me of any new updates. If i open the package manager, fetch package list, the notifier then appears. I have checked my settings in Kubuntu Updates and in Automatic Updates and all of my required settings settings to activate the notifier are enabled. Has any one else had this problem?

Re: Software update notifier not working

My update-notifier pops up as soon as the crontab started update completes. For 3 days now there were no updates to Jaunty. Tonight there are some from update and proposed. Getting fixes already.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrunner58
      I had a working Intrepid installation that was upgraded to Jaunty and KDE 4.2.2 a while back. Since upgrading to Jaunty I have noticed for a while that my update notifier is not notifying me of any new updates. If i open the package manager, fetch package list, the notifier then appears. I have checked my settings in Kubuntu Updates and in Automatic Updates and all of my required settings settings to activate the notifier are enabled. Has any one else had this problem?
      I thought it was just a coincidence, but the last time I saw the update notification (a couple hours ago) it appeared while I was looking for updates in Synaptic.

What are Kubuntu Updates and Automatic Updates in terms of commands to run? I don't seem to have a fully populated menu...

Comment

abalone,

Are you looking for "update-notifier-kde -u"? I've tried that here and it doesn't seem to work for me.

Nice (kind of) to see other people are having this problem.

Hopefully there is a fix.

Comment

update-notifier-kde -u immediately pops up a box saying "no new upgrade available".

But Synaptic finds an upgrade to wine. So does update-manager.

(I don't have anything like Adept or KPackagekit anymore; maybe that's something to do with it?)

When the wine update was found, the "gear-with-green-arrow" tray icon appeared, too. However, it doesn't do anything. I can right-click it and quit, but that's it.

Comment

If you are at Jaunty there is no new release to upgrade to, which is why it is telling you that. Try
            update-notifier-kde --help

Comment

I see. I also tried update-notifier-kde -c (check for updates) but it gets stuck. Konsole window title changes to python, some 8 seconds later it prints "0;0", I wait... nothing; is it supposed to "daemonize" itself and hang around?*

*When I press ^C to abort:
              Traceback (most recent call last):
              File "/usr/bin/update-notifier-kde", line 204, in rebootRequired
              def rebootRequired(self, path=None):
              KeyboardInterrupt

(It never gives me back the command line)

Well, I don't need to use it from the command line. But it should've mentioned that wine update per tray icon, no?

Comment

This problem was fixed earlier in the betas, but perhaps those using PPA repos to install KDE4.2 in Intrepid still have this bug?

try (re)installing update-notifier-kde to see if that fixes it.

This bug was specific to those updaters who used the Unsupported Updates or the (unsupported) ppa repos to install KDE4.2 in Intrepid

Comment

Yah, I had upgraded from Intrepid/KDE 4.2.0 (though I'm not sure anymore from what repos it was). I did reinstall the notifier but had already downloaded that last update (wine) at the time. Will see what happens the next time. I've "purged" update-notifier and update-notifier-kde and reinstalled them again.

Comment

well the only way to get 4.2 is from the unsupported places

But I'd recommend filing a bug perhaps

Comment

Thank you for your reply claydoh. I've "purged" update-notifier-kde and reinstalled again. Now I am waiting to be notified about any new updates.

Comment

No improvement here. Got a bunch of updates, but the notification icon didn't pop up until I was looking for them via Synaptic.

Comment

It seems to be working again. Maybe one of those updates fixed it.

Comment

Working...
                          X