X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update fine, still problems

Hi!

First post here, hope it's ok to complain about some things ... no, first I want to say that the update to 9.04 seems to be really nice, noticed it feels a lot snappier, the tray icons seem to keep their black background, animations are smoother, it feels like KDE 4 is starting to mature and 9.04 like it'll show the naysayers out there that it was a good idea to make that leap. Good work!

Which makes my two problems even nastier, but I'm not willing to accept this any longer, if I can't fix this soon I'll try Arch or something and if this doesn't work out I'll have to switch my main machine back to Windows, really.

First problem:

I have two audio interfaces, the internal HDA Intel sound card and an Echo Gina 3G breakout box. ALSA, being as retarded as ever, detects them in a random order every time the system boots, which leads KDE to randomly assume that the Gina has been removed. My workaround: kill X, log in via ctrl-alt-f1, sudo alsa force-reload until asoundconf list is ok (Gina is first, the Intel is second). Then I log in again, because in this order ALSA sort of works (one application can play sound at a time, which is ok, because Jack and VLC and sometimes Flash is all I need). I'm ok with DMix not working, as long as I can put a stop to this stupid ritual after booting.

So: Does anybody know how to force ALSA to detect cards in a fixed order? (And please no mention of PulseAudio, PA only makes it all worse.)

Second problem:

The kernel hangs after GRUB when my Das Keyboard III is attached. USB storage devices don't work when the keyboard is attached. Processes halt with disk_sleep forever and I already lost a brand new thumb drive (even after reformatting it's still ****ed) which I tried to copy something onto after I plugged the Das Keyboard in.

So: Has anybody seen something like that or any clue what could possibly go wrong here? I'm completely lost here.

These problems are occuring since my update to 8.10 (a couple weeks ago) and since I got the keyboard (a week now). I figured I wait out the update to 9.04, but this didn't fix anything, and now these problems have to go away, this is just way beyong annoying. Either I fix it, find another distro or - worst case - back to Windows. Either way, I appreciate any help and would gladly stay on 9.04, since it really looks nice.

Thanks for any help,
    Mike

Re: Update fine, still problems

Originally posted by vertex
    So: Does anybody know how to force ALSA to detect cards in a fixed order? (And please no mention of PulseAudio, PA only makes it all worse.)
    I don't know if that's what you want, but you can set one card as the default by name, not number (so it won't have to be the same number every time). Maybe that helps? Type "asoundconf list", then "asoundconf set-default-card name_of_card". It then writes an ~/.asoundrc.asoundconf and includes it from ~/.asoundrc.

Comment

Re: Update fine, still problems

Tried it, doesn't help. I'm experimenting a bit more, maybe a clean reinstall ... maybe that helps.

Comment

Working...
      X