X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] kded4 running amok.

Hi

Upgraded from intrepid to jaunty a few minutes ago and suddenly the process kded4 is using up about 50% of the system resources. Extremely annoying. What to do?

Re: kded4 running amok.

Use the normal procedures for determining the resource hog, what else?

Use top in a konsole or open the System monitor and click on the %CPU header. Then note what is using the most cpu cycles. Then decide what you want to do about it.

I've always preferred a fresh install over an upgrade when the distro level changes, so rather than upgrading from the previous release, I installed JJ alpha5 and have continually upgraded it. The result is a smoothly running desktop.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well DUH!! I'd appreciate if you actually read the post. I've already seen what is using the most, and it is KDED4. You know, the process which is running. Not the whole kde4.

That's nice that you prefer fresh install, but it's totally irrelevant and I don't really care about your preferences. I just want to know what I should do to make THE PROCESS kded4 stop hogging my system. OK!?

Comment

You might try checking that all of your plasmoids are compatible. I had some runaway processes like that that were due to plasmoids after the kde upgraded but the plasmoids didn't.

Oh, and try to maintain a nicer attitude, Greygeek was trying to be helpful. An apology would be nice, actually.

Comment

Removed all plasmoids, but no difference. Still hogging the system.

And, well I'm sorry if I seemed inpolite, but how polite is it to not read a post asking for help, and answer it anyway? Especially when the answer gives vibes of "you're not looking hard enough. Put on you're glasses. By the way, I like donuts". I think you'd be annoyed too if you we're me.

Comment

I understand the sentiment. 

One last question:

Is it plugged in? 

Just kidding. From a quick web search it is said that:
            Usually it is the fault of one of the many modules used in kded4 that causes the issue, but tracking it to an individual module is usually very hard.(http://forum.kde.org/whats-kded4-why...u-t-36696.html)

Some other pages suggest that system monitors are especially culpable and that widgets in the panel can also be a problem. Some people report killing plasmoids or widgets and then having to kill kded4 and/or rebooting and the problem goes away. This seems to be a known/recurring issue, though. (I had it myself)

Good luck.

Comment

Check this out and see if it helps.

http://forums.opensuse.org/pre-relea...rocessors.html

Looked like it might be helpful.

Comment

Those did the trick, although like everyone else experiencing this, I'm not sure what I really did. Killed kded4, logged out and back in again, and now it's fixed. Wierd.

Comment

Re: [solved] kded4 running amok.

I can't get rid of the CPU(-core) hogging kded4 problem anymore. By now it happens every single time I log into KDE. I've rebooted several times; I've even wiped my entire home directory. To no avail, obviously.

I can kill and restart kded4, which gets me this (console):

Code:
                  Invalid D-BUS member name 'idle-hint' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
                  Invalid D-BUS member name 'is-local' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
                  Invalid D-BUS member name 'x11-display-device' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
                  Invalid D-BUS member name 'x11-display' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
                  Invalid D-BUS member name 'display-device' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
                  Invalid D-BUS member name 'remote-host-name' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
                  Invalid D-BUS member name 'session-type' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
                  Invalid D-BUS member name 'unix-user' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
                  X Error: XSyncBadAlarm 167
                   Extension:  147 (Uknown extension)
                   Minor opcode: 11 (Unknown request)
                   Resource id: 0x0
                  X Error: XSyncBadAlarm 167
                   Extension:  147 (Uknown extension)
                   Minor opcode: 11 (Unknown request)
                   Resource id: 0x0
                  Then it's running nicely, but my hotkeys don't work anymore and I suppose other stuff doesn't work anymore either. So I also have to go to System Settings -> Service Manager and restart the hotkey service and other services. Annoying.

KDE 4.3 now.

Comment

For me this happens every time a system notification sound plays. So at least I've got something to blame now.

Comment

Or rather: every time something uses Phonon. Could be Amarok 2, for example. If it's KDE-4-related and plays sound, it blows up kded4 in the process.

Comment

Working...
                      X