This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening .msi file

I need to install some applications that are contained in a .msi file. Searched wide and far for a solution to the problem but could not find anything that worked.
    msiexec /i does not work for me, neither in Wine nor in Crossover.

I could open the zip archive. Now I need to install the Windows Installer to my Crossover Windows Box.

Does anyone know how?
    Or do I have to go back to my virus infested laptop?
    If yes, does anyone know whether I can erase and format the hidden partition without interfering with my ability to boot the laptop?

Thanks for any hints and tips.

Re: Opening .msi file

perhaps one of the other wine like programs ,
    play on linux or cedega

if not you should (depenging on what it is) be able to install on windows machine (or virtual machine) and copy the program dir to your ~/.wine/drive_c/ then make the menu items and run it. most windows programs will work unless they require a lot of reg entrys you might have to export them if it does.

the easiest route is of course to find a program native to linux to do the task but as we all know its not always possible.

you should be able to do your partition needs w/ a qparted live disk.
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

just to be clear, you entered:
      Code:
      wine msiexec /i xyz.msi
      not:
      Code:
      msiexec /i xyz.msi
      ...correct? Your original post just shows msiexec /i...I just installed an .msi using wine, so it seems to work for me.

mm0
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

following me today eh mm0
        i never knew that wine would open an msi package and now that i am @ my computer

i just tested an msi package all i needed to do is click on the file and wine opened it right up, i used the active_sync 4.5.msi set up package from M$ (yes sadly enuff i have a windows based smartphone its a blackjackII). btw does ne one know of a linux based os for my phone ?
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I believe I tried both. Definitely did the 'msiexec /i' thing.
          Meanwhile I installed trial version of Crossover. But that poses another problem.
          Do I have to install Windows first?
          And how do I get the .msi file into the box?

And no, I can not find a Linux app that would do the same thing. I am attempting to install custom programs that were written for Windows and run them.

Thanks for the assistance. I will install wine again and try it again.

Originally posted by muzicman0
          just to be clear, you entered:
          Code:
          wine msiexec /i xyz.msi
          not:
          Code:
          msiexec /i xyz.msi
          ...correct? Your original post just shows msiexec /i...I just installed an .msi using wine, so it seems to work for me.

mm0

Comment

Working...
          X