Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cursor Freeze / Kubuntu Fails to Load (nVidia)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cursor Freeze / Kubuntu Fails to Load (nVidia)

Hi there. I'm running the 64-bit version of Kubuntu 9.04.

After doing a fresh install last night, I took the opportunity to install available software updates. I also got an opportunity to download and install the drivers for my nVidia GeForce4 MX 4000. After doing so and activating them, I went into my BIOS setup and switched it to use my nVidia card as the primary display device. (I have integrated graphics on my motherboard, and it seems that I can't access any nVidia functionality if I don't specify it as the "primary" display device in my BIOS; the nVidia VGA port doesn't output anything the monitor can pick up.)

After doing so, the Kubuntu logo appeared with a progress bar as it usually does when I start up. However, the progress bar only filled up to 1/8 and would hang -- nothing would happen, and the hard drive light went off like no disk activity was happening.

I went into the BIOS and switched the primary display back to onboard graphics. I attempted to start Kubuntu again and found a command line instead of a GUI. I attempted to run a command but found that it failed.

Code:
    sudo startx
    I took a look at the logfile and found "No screens found" (or something like that) at the end of it. Suspecting that this was a problem with the configuration file, I had X create a new configuration file based on the hardware it could detect.

Code:
    sudo Xorg -configure
    I replaced the existing X configuration file with the one created, rebooted the computer, and found that I now have a GUI. I have not attempted to switch the device used for my display again.

There's another annoying problem I am experiencing -- everytime I move the cursor to the far right of the screen, it "freezes" briefly. If I attempt to move the mouse in any direction except to the right, the cursor will move. It seems that I have to move the mouse quickly (i.e., making the cursor "bolt") in order to get it to move. This behavior does not appear to be specific to any one program, and even happens when I'm on the desktop with no open windows.

Unfortunately, I no longer have access to the error log created when I experienced problems loading the GUI; the file was somehow overwritten or deleted. (Maybe I just misplaced it!) I'll attempt to reproduce the problem and add additional information.

Attached:
    • hardware.txt - the output of lshw, which shows attached hardware.
    • xorg.txt - my current Xorg configuration file.

P.S. I wonder why this message textbox becomes "read only" sometimes after pressing "preview" and trying to make editions to it.
    Attached Files
Working...
X