X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@#$%^&! regression with panel artifacts in JJ with nvidia

:@

Re: @#$%^&! regression with panel artifacts in JJ with nvidia

180.44 seems to be causing the same-ish panel artifacts and general plasma messiness that the 173.xx series caused under II, for my 7600GT. This was one of the greatest things ever to happen to my machine, when the 180 fixed it, so this is pretty disturbing.

Just needed to blow off some steam about that. I'll check the bug reports myself later.

DANG IT THOUGH!!!

Comment

Have you tried beta 185.19?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show....php?p=1976912
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
        No. I am officially lazy and need to get my nvidia from the repo... another reason that I'm a jerk for complaining so much.

Thanks.

Comment

Seriously, I could not get the nvidia stuff in the repository to work. dibl pointed me to the beta, which comes with its own installer that actually works, and I've been flying ever since.
          Also depending on your setup, your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file may need to be manually edited.
          Some hassle, but in the end it all worked.

Check out the thread entitled "[solved] nvidia drivers crash system" that chronicles my struggle with it.
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
            Seriously, I could not get the nvidia stuff in the repository to work. dibl pointed me to the beta, which comes with its own installer that actually works, and I've been flying ever since.
            Also depending on your setup, your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file may need to be manually edited.
            Some hassle, but in the end it all worked.

Check out the thread entitled "[solved] nvidia drivers crash system" that chronicles my struggle with it.
            I really appreciate your willingness to help... and I might just end up trying the 185.xx, but for the moment I really don't want to for a couple of reasons:

1. Horrible experiences in the past with a kernel update causing a boot into CL. This simply is not acceptable, since I need to know I can leave for a week (or die or something) and my family will still be able access all our pictures and videos, etc. A boot to text mode would be a broken computer for my wife.

2. Laziness. And, don't get me wrong, I know that linux can be some work and I like the tinkering aspect, but graphics drivers for me was always my test of "Is linux ready for the desktop?"... if I could get proprietary drivers installed only through a gui I felt that it was ready. Not that the command line scares me, but it's just a test.

So I'd rather try and convince kubuntu to include the 185.xx driver if it fixes my issue rather than install it myself. (But I still haven't had time to check bug reports, and now it's time for work).

But really, thanks again. And this issue coming back is such a huge annoyance that I'll probably end up forgetting about 1 & 2 and just taking your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab

1. Horrible experiences in the past with a kernel update causing a boot into CL. This simply is not acceptable, since I need to know I can leave for a week (or die or something) and my family will still be able access all our pictures and videos, etc. A boot to text mode would be a broken computer for my wife.
              This is preventable -- just instruct the family to leave the update process alone. Alternatively, use the "nv" driver and they can't break it with updates.

2. Laziness. ..... So I'd rather try and convince kubuntu to include the 185.xx driver if it fixes my issue rather than install it myself.
              If you're truly lazy, this will be WAY more work than you're looking for!

Comment

180.44 seems to be causing the same-ish panel artifacts and general plasma messiness that the 173.xx series caused under II, for my 7600GT. This was one of the greatest things ever to happen to my machine, when the 180 fixed it, so this is pretty disturbing.
                I am not sure this is a Nvidea only thing.

Over easter I had to reinstall my JJ and used the alpha 6 cd then upgraded to latest.

Since then I cannot move new panels to the side (or anywhere.
                Everything seems very sluggish and slows down quickly so the system becomes unusable after about 20 min. with only OOO, FF, skype and kontact open.

I hope this is just a fluke but with everything frozen and RC due tommorow
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                  ...Everything seems very sluggish and slows down quickly so the system becomes unusable after about 20 min. with only OOO, FF, skype and kontact open.

I hope this is just a fluke but with everything frozen and RC due tommorow
                  Back before, the problem always occurred when I had a non-Qt app open (other than FF, which was oddly unaffected), that had a blinking caret. So Thunderbird by itself would not be a problem, but an open message would cause trouble.

The new behavior is a little different, with the problem showing up after the non-Qt app has been up, for like you say, about 20 mintues or so...

Comment

Working...
                  X