X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kontact sync between two computers

Hi,
    I'd really like to sync my Kontact information between my desktop and my laptop. I've seen references to kitchensync, but it doesn't appear to be in th repos. Other people have suggested just manually (e.g, using rsync) sync the .kde folders in my home directories. I tried this but it didn't work: my contacts, todos etc do not show up. Anyone know if this is possible, and if so how to do it?

Thanks,
    Ista

Re: kontact sync between two computers

My solution may not be exactly to your taste but.............
    I have used a Palm Pilot of some sort for about 12 years. I have always synced the Palm with Kontact or with the app JPilot.
    Kontact will use Kpilot to sync
    Jpilot will use pilot-link to sync.
    ......Once you sync the Palm to the one computer your can then take it the second computer and sync it again.
    The results is with two syncs the Palm, The Desktop and the Laptop are always in Sync.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have a Palm, so I'm looking for a way to sync the two computers directly. Thanks for sharing your method though!

Comment

I've done this with kmail and kontact using rsync over nfs via a cron job. It did work but was a little messy... for example, kmail has a lock file so if kmail is open for example on your laptop it will think it's also open on your desktop.

Usage is rsync -r /home/yourname/.kde /mnt/yourshare (assuming you have a share set up to the target computer)

Full usage:

rsync --verbose --progress --stats --compress --rsh=/usr/local/bin/ssh \
        --recursive --times --perms --links --delete \
        --exclude "*bak" --exclude "*~" \
        /www/* webserver:simple_path_name

Comment

Working...
        X