This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gwenview wants nepomuk in order to browse by tag

Gwenview seems to be working fine, but there is a message at the bottom of the start screen which says:

Sorry, browsing by tag is not available. Make sure Nepomuk is properly installed on your computer.

I'm running JJ 2.6.28-11. My knowledge of Nepomuk is extremely limited. From what I've read, it is supposed to keep track of everything in order to furnish such info to requesting applications. LIke Gwenview.

Should I worry about this message?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Gwenview wants nepomuk in order to browse by tag

Only if want to use the tags > Discover Nepomuk As a User:
    Existing Features

Nepomuk is a relatively young project and as such, is only at the beginning of providing the targetted features.

Integration with Dolphin

Nepomuk allows to tag, rate, and comment your files through Dolphin, the KDE 4 file manager. This way files can be grouped in addition to simple folder placement.
    [img width=400 height=302]http://nepomuk.kde.org/discover/user?q=image/view/5/_original[/img]

(Picture is from the > Discover Nepomuk As a User)

You can add tags to the files and then search files by tags.

Maybe: System Settings > Advanced > Desktop Search. Do you have "Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop" ?

But if you don't use the Nepomuk there is no reason to enable it.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

It won't hurt Gwenview any to run without nepomuk, but you won't ba able to search tags -- with gwenview. You might be able to use searchmonkey for tags, which searches on the fly as opposed to creating a database like nepomuk.strigi. You might also be able to generate a list of tags with metacam or one of the exif utilities.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

OK, I think I understand better.

However, nepomuk is running

$ ps -Af|grep nepo
        jon 3606 1 0 17:52 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/nepomukserver

Yet Gwenview complains about it. Is this just not yet implemented in my version of Kubuntu? Or is there something else I should do?

Thanks for your assistanc.e
        'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Here:
          rog 4675 1 0 18:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/nepomukserver
          rog 4678 4675 0 18:57 ? 00:00:19 /usr/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukstorage
          rog 4687 4675 0 18:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukontologyloader
          rog 4688 4675 0 18:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukqueryservice
          rog 4689 4675 0 18:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukfilewatch
          rog 4690 4675 0 18:57 ? 00:00:07 /usr/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukstrigiservice

Are there crash reports of the nepomuk in the /var/crash directory ?

Do you get an error message if you try to start the nepomuk services:

nepomukservicestub --help
          Usage: nepomukservicestub [Qt-options] [KDE-options] servicename
          Nepomuk Service Stub
          Arguments:
          servicename Service to start
          =>

Code:
          nepomukservicestub nepomukstorage
          etc...

Here it tells:
          Service nepomukstorage already running.