Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I prey Kubuntu has the same kde/qt version as Arch (100% kde speed increase!!!!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prey Kubuntu has the same kde/qt version as Arch (100% kde speed increase!!!!)

Hi.

KDE4 has been getting better since KDE 4.2.

However I have just updated 2 desktops today running archlinux and OMG its so much faster than the previous version - for me its now the same speed as gnome is.

The previous version was 4.2.2 (as is the new version) however the arch packages I believe now use QT4.5 and its like installing a breath of fresh air.

My work desktop has a crappy intel i915 which was previously just about manageable without desktop effects on. Now it flies - and I can now use desktop effects and get a good speed (the previous kde 4.2.2 was not able to run with desktop effects and still be useful)

Also the new version fixes a very very nasty bugs where on login some users would just get a plasma workspace crash.

Does anyone know for sure what versions will be used in kubuntu 9.04

here is my kde-config4 -v output

Qt: 4.5.0
    KDE: 4.2.2 (KDE 4.2.2)
    kde4-config: 1.0

cheers

Re: I prey Kubuntu has the same kde/qt version as Arch (100% kde speed increase!!!!)

Jaunty will use qt4.5 (actually it has been qt4.5 for a while now)

Qt: 4.5.0
    KDE: 4.2.2 (KDE 4.2.2)
    kde4-config: 1.0

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu jaunty (development branch)
    Release: 9.04
    Codename: jaunty

Comment

Re: I prey Kubuntu has the same kde/qt version as Arch (100% kde speed increase!!!!)

Originally posted by yossarianuk

However I have just updated 2 desktops today running archlinux and OMG its so much faster than the previous version - for me its now the same speed as gnome is.
      I sure hope not. If my KDE were that slow I would go back to Ice.

Comment

Thats good news.

I'll try the beta and see how it compares to the Arch Linux version.

I'm still amazed at how fast the most recent release it.

Although I have realised that as well as upgrading to qt4.5 its using a modified QT version (i'm using kdemod) and wonder if the speed increase is down to that...

For me (on 2 different machine with completely different hardware) KDE4 has been much slower than either kde3 or gnome.

Today though that has changed...

Comment

yossarianuk,
          Your English is very good!

Just a note: "Prey" is the target of a predator. "Pray" is a communication to a Deity. In your context "I pray Kubuntu..." is the correct syntax.

Lot's of none-English speaking people also have trouble with "their" and 'there". When spoken they sound alike, but the first refers to possession, the second refers to location. In fact, most English writers I read on the forums have trouble with "their" and "there".

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

If we are going to be pedantic then, Lot's of none-English should be Lots of non-English.

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            yossarianuk,
            Your English is very good!

Just a note: "Prey" is the target of a predator. "Pray" is a communication to a Deity. In your context "I pray Kubuntu..." is the correct syntax.

Lot's of none-English speaking people also have trouble with "their" and 'there". When spoken they sound alike, but the first refers to possession, the second refers to location. In fact, most English writers I read on the forums have trouble with "their" and "there".

Comment

Yes my English language skills in my last post were not good.

I am actually from England also.

I'm pretty sure everybody knew what I meant.

To top it off i'm an atheist so shouldn't be praying/preying to any thing....

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk
                Yes my English language skills in my last post were not good.

I am actually from England also.

I'm pretty sure everybody knew what I meant.

To top it off i'm an atheist so shouldn't be praying/preying to any thing....
                ROF, LLL... I was sure religion wasn't involved. I thought it was a figure of speech.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: I prey Kubuntu has the same kde/qt version as Arch (100% kde speed increase!

Oh boy, here we go.

"Lot's of none-English speaking people also have trouble with "their" and 'there".

Punctuation:

Lot's of none (sic)-English speaking people also have trouble with "their" and 'there."

(Period inside the ending quotation mark. There is an exception to that rule, but we'll not go there.)

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

What?!? No one is going to point out that s/he said both "qt" and "QT" but not once "Qt" (not counting the copy/paste output)?!?

:P

Comment

When jaunty got qt 4.5, on this 5+ year old P4-M 2.0ghz laptop I noticed a significant speed boost, though it hasn't not helped my typing spelling or grammer skills any/

Comment

I noticed a significant change with jaunty on my AMD64 2.2, but since jaunty came with a new nvidia I can't be sure that it was Qt 4.5.

Comment

Working...
                        X