This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automagic wireless connection AND login in jaunty

I am using 64-bit Jaunty alpha 6 with a D-Link DWA-160 USB wireless dongle [it's Draft-N ] with the RA0 native drivers. Once the connection is setup everything wireless is good, stable & wonderful. I highly recommend the DWA-160.

Now then.... I would like to automatically logon to my wireless router without entering my Kwallet password every time in order to establish a connection. I've fiddled, I've googled, and then fiddled some more. No joy.

FWIW, iwithout Kwallet I have to enter the hex key for the wireless connection. To anticipate further another suggestion, the "System Connection" check box is grayed out in the network plasmoid.

I tried using Knetwork manager, but I couldn't get a connection.

So, my question: Is this just the way this works in KDE 4.2, or am I missing something?

FWIW, I would be happy to use a script if I only knew what commands to use so that I could include it in AutoStart and accomplish the same thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Automagic wireless connection AND login in jaunty

This is popping up a lot. I tried hard to get the KDE network manager to work but even if it will configure your wireless it will not do it until you login to KDE. The answer is wicd.

"sudo aptitude install wicd"

should solve your problems.

Comment

Re: Automagic wireless connection AND login in jaunty

That was just the kind of help I was looking for: the kind that works.

Once I figured out which WPA client [I think that's what it's called] to use, it connected right up.

I knew there was an alternative to letting KDE manage wireless networks, but I couldn't remember what it was called. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

tim

Comment

Working...
      X