This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jaunty blocked updates

I noticed that most times when I do update on KPackage kit. I see some blocked updates.
    Then I resolve it by using apt-get dist-upgrade. Is that the correct way or is it because some updates are not yet reached repository and should I wait.

Re: jaunty blocked updates

This a problem of kpackagekit. You can use for updates adept or synaptic if you install them

Comment

I thought that KPackage kit was is going to replace Adept in kubuntu jaunty. And searching packages is very cool with KPackage kit.

Comment

Yes but i think kpackagekit have too many problems.

Comment

So far it looks like we may have both Adept and KPackageKit for Jaunty, unless they can fix the bigger bugs. It is pretty stable, but there are still some niggly issues, as we can see.

Comment

This behaviour of kpackage kit is same as that of apt-get update. Its also says updates help back. May Kpackage kit just calls apt-get update. If there are blocked updates they need to call apt-get dist-update

Comment

I can confirm this (using Jaunty Beta):
              Code:
              sudo apt-get upgrade
              Reading package lists... Done                     
              Building dependency tree                       
              Reading state information... Done                   
              The following packages have been kept back:              
               language-support-translations-en                  
              0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
              But trying a dist-upgrade will ask me if I want to install a bunch of gnome-related packages:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get dist-upgrade 
              Reading package lists... Done       
              Building dependency tree          
              Reading state information... Done     
              Calculating upgrade... Done
              The following NEW packages will be installed:
               doc-base docbook-xml esound-clients esound-common gamin gconf2 gconf2-common
               gnome-doc-utils gnome-keyring gnome-mime-data gnome-mount gnome-user-guide
               gnome-user-guide-en gvfs gvfs-backends libaudiofile0 libavahi-glib1
               libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common
               libcdio-cdda0 libcdio-paranoia0 libcdio7 libesd-alsa0 libfreezethaw-perl
               libgail-common libgail18 libgamin0 libgconf2-4 libgcr0 libgnome-keyring0
               libgnome2-0 libgnome2-common libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common
               libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common
               libgnomevfs2-extra libgp11-0 libgvfscommon0 liblaunchpad-integration1
               libmldbm-perl libnotify1 liborbit2 libpam-gnome-keyring libpolkit-gnome0
               libproxy0 librarian0 libscrollkeeper0 libsexy2 libsoup-gnome2.4-1
               libsoup2.4-1 libuuid-perl libwnck-common libwnck22 libxres1
               notification-daemon policykit-gnome scrollkeeper sgml-data xsltproc yelp
              The following packages will be upgraded:
               language-support-translations-en
              1 upgraded, 65 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
              Need to get 8876kB of archives.
              After this operation, 72.3MB of additional disk space will be used.
              Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
              Abort.
              Now I don't know what to do. Should I install these packages?

-----------

EDIT:
              I just sudo apt-get install language-support-translations-en and then upgraded ok.
              Patenting software as bit pattern manipulation algorithms is absurd because you cannot patent mathematical algorithms.

Comment

I usually use Synaptic and it seems to work OK.

I like it because 1) it keeps track of what I downloaded and when, so that if I have problems I can look back and see what was installed just before the problem began, and 2) I like the way it presents the list of files in the right panel. It is easy to tell by the green blocks which are installed, IF there is another version available (and the ability to choose a version and lock it), and more.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

If you want your system to be up to date with regard to the 9.04 development then install the packages. To me that means yes install them.

I really don't think any of the GUI package managers are anything other than a frontend for apt are they?

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
                    If you want your system to be up to date with regard to the 9.04 development then install the packages. To me that means yes install them.

I really don't think any of the GUI package managers are anything other than a frontend for apt are they?
                    True, but while KpackageKit will present some as being "Blocked", Synaptic never does. I "assumed" that they were being blocked because of some conflict but, apparently, that is not the case. Also, IMO, Synaptic is MUCH easier to use and gives more options than KPackageKit.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I have not experience with synaptic, but the times Ihave seen blocked packages in kpackagekit aptitude would hold them back because of unresolvable dependencies.

Synaptic probably does have more options than Kpackagekit, but I'll bet it has fewer than aptitude.

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
                        Synaptic probably does have more options than Kpackagekit, but I'll bet it has fewer than aptitude.
                        Can't say, I haven't any experience with Aptitude.

Comment

Has the adept update notifier been disabled in jaunty? I sort of miss the little icon telling me updates are available.

Is there any way of re-enabling it as I think I'd rather stick with that and apt-get until packagekit is properly sorted.

Thanks

ian

Comment

The package update-notifier-common includes a file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99update-notifier which causes that icon to pop up when apt is run. If you are not getting the icon you probably do not have update-notifier installed.

Comment

Working...
                            X