This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bug: Desktop effects enabled vs Stellarium

With the desktop effects DISABLED I can open, run and close Stellarium without any problems. When Stellarium closes the normal desktop reappears.

WITH desktop effects ENABLED I can open and run Stellarium, but when I close it (click the red X) the accelerated screen remains active and I see Stellarium's graphics (stars, etc.). Alt+Ctl+Bkspace does not appear to restart X but when I move the mouse around while holding the alt and ctl keys I can see small sections of the desktop appearing momentarily through the Stellarium graphics, enough to enable me to know where to click to activate the shutdown icon, and shutdown the laptop. When I do that I get the normal desktop again. Just clicking the logout icon logs me out, but when I log back in Stellarium's graphics is covering everything up, so I have to shut down to recover.

That's the only problem I've discovered, so far, with having desktop effects enabled.

EDIT: I should have added my video chip and driver information.
    Video chip: Intel Mobil 4 Series (G45)
    Screen setting: LVDS connected, 1600X900 (auto), Refresh: 59.7Hz
    Diver: lsmod shows "i915" and "intel_agp" mods installed (In other distros I could read Xorg.conf to see, but there's no help with that config file in Jaunty)

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: A bug: Desktop effects enabled vs Stellarium

Here Ati Radeon with the opensource drivers.

Desktop effects enabled

Here with the Stellarium, i get same phenomenon as in this Stellarium bug report > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...um/+bug/331290

Some of the plasma-widgets are flashing to the Stellarium screen.

Desktop effects enabled or disabled

Impossible to access celestia pulldown menus as told in the bug report >https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ia/+bug/283396

Quick "workaround" (for the Stellarium) is to use the plasma-widget-toggle-compositing. No need to System Settings > Desktop...

Alt+Ctl+Bkspace does not appear to restart X..
    As default it is disabled > Topic: Enable the ctrl-alt-backspace combination
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
      Here Ati Radeon with the opensource drivers.

Desktop effects enabled

Here with the Stellarium, i get same phenomenon as in this Stellarium bug report > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...um/+bug/331290

Some of the plasma-widgets are flashing to the Stellarium screen.
      My Stellarium works fine, with no bleed through. It is when I try to close it that the fun begins!

Desktop effects enabled or disabled

Impossible to access celestia pulldown menus as told in the bug report >https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ia/+bug/283396

Quick "workaround" (for the Stellarium) is to use the plasma-widget-toggle-compositing. No need to System Settings > Desktop...
      Haven't used that toggle before... where is it located?

Alt+Ctl+Bkspace does not appear to restart X..
      As default it is disabled > Topic: Enable the ctrl-alt-backspace combination

Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware of that. Jaunty has several conventions that I was not familiar with. Sudo is one. I never used sudo in other distros because I always had an active root account with a known password, which allowed me to open a root console. I know I can modify Kubuntu to behave that way but I am going to stick with no active root account and the use of sudo because I suspect that most developers will assume that a Kubuntu installation will work that way.

That explains why I couldn't restart the server with that key combo. However, I was able to blindly logout and in the login screen I restarted the xserver. That didn't help. When I logged back in I was faced with an inactive Stellarium screen, so I had to do a shutdown. That gave me control back.

I've enabled Desktop Effects again so I can do more experimenting.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Haven't used that toggle before... where is it located?
        It is a plasma-widget ( > Topic: Plasmoids are now...). Install package: plasma-widget-toggle-compositing and add the plamoid to the desktop or to the panel. It will add a "switch" to turn the compositing on or off.

at the KDE-Look > Toggle-Compositing
        Description:
        Toggle-Compositing is a little button that you can conveniently
        put anywhere in your plasma panel or desktop and it allows
        you to switch with ease, beetween KWin's compositing and
        traditional mode.
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Got it!
          Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X