X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folder sharing not working with network

Newbie here.
    I have issues with my network. I do not have a firewall unless Kubuntu alpha 5 is installed with one that I'm not aware of.
    I have 3 computers; XP, Ubuntu 8.10 & Kubuntu alpha 5. From Kubuntu alpha 5, I can connect to the other 2- read & write in their folders, no problems.
    In alpha5 I cannot get the share folder working properly. I've added samba & set it to share everything, but, still don't see the shared folder from XP & Ubuntu computers although it does seem to connect as it reads a Print$ folder.
    I've made changes to /etc/samba/smb.conf workgroup to match my network name.
    Any ideas?

Re: Folder sharing not working with network

Hi have you reset the permissions on the share (chown)?

Comment

Re: Folder sharing not working with network

In the shared folder's permissions, there are 3 tabs; General, Permissions & Share. Changes in General & Permissions can be made & saved. In Share, however, it doesn't save changes. It allows me to customize & then prompts for my password but checking Share this folder in the network & Share with Samba (Microsoft Windows) do not save once the window is closed. In Permissions in the Ownership section it says;
      User:george
      Group: has a selectable drop-down list.
      This tells me I'm the owner & I shouldn't need root privileges to make changes, right? I point this out because before installing Samba the folder had root privileges only.
      Is this something that could be done in root or is this another alpha glitch?

Comment

Working...
      X