This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Gimp select tools become move tool on copied png image

My original statement of this problem was not accurate, therefore I am modifying it.

Best to explain what I'm doing.

I scan photos with xsane to a png file, 3 photos to a file, for more efficient use of the scanner.

Then I open each png file with Gimp and use the rectangle select -- which works -- to copy the three parts of the png file corresponding to the original photos to new Gimp images. AS SOON AS THEY ARE COPIED, the rectangle or fuzzy select does not work on the copied image -- it displays a move tool icon and that's what it does.

Help, please.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Gimp select tools become move tool on copied png image

Well, it turned out to be that I had not yet promoted the copied image to a new layer. I know this needs to be done and now I know (but don't understand) why.

Still, Gimp COULD have given some sort of message rather than just behave weirdly.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Re: [RESOLVED] Gimp select tools become move tool on copied png image

I used GIMP this week to remove red-eye from some wedding photos. Sometimes the red-eye feature would leave a white, crystalline-looking circle in place of the demon eyes. I discovered that I cannot use the paint or brush tool to convert the white area to a more "pupil" looking dark circle without first having to use the rectangular select tool to encompass the area I want to change. If I want to change more than one area I found the best solution is to use the rectangle selection tool to select the entire image, which seems, to me, to be impractical, but I had to use the select tool only once. On previous versions of GIMP one didn't need to pre-select the area they wanted to use the brush or pencil on. Anyone know of any reason why it is now required on the latest GIMP?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X