X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My snow eye candy doesn't work!

My snow eye candy doesn't work!
    I know its completely useless, but I would like to show it to my GFriend. Everything works, every effect, but the snow eff. just does nothing. I have set up various key shortcuts, and it activates, but its not there, you can't see it. Using 180.29 nvidia drivers with gforce 9400GT 512RAM. Another bug?

Re: My snow eye candy doesn't work!

Originally posted by BenP

Another bug?
    Maybe -- but more likely a bug in the plugin, or Compiz than in Kubuntu.

Choose the Atlantis plugin* instead, and show her that one -- it is very cool, IMO.

*install the compiz-fusion-plugins-extras package.

Comment

But I don't want to use compiz, I am using KWin as my window manager, I want to use pure KDE. I already showed her Ubuntu with all that stuff, atlantis, burn, beam...Its not a big deal, but I would like everything to work (I realize that I'm using Alpha4 ).

Comment

Interesting, it works, but I either have to go to 3d cube mode or desktop grid - then it is visible, but right after I select a single desktop it freezes ( and disappear ) after I turn it off with the key combination.

Comment

Originally posted by BenP

I'm using Alpha4
          You're asking a lot of a pre-Beta version, to run desktop effects bug-free. :P

Comment

i have had issues with both kwin's "snow" and compiz's "snow". every time after a few min (and i always change the default keys to activte) then i can hit up the button and turn it on, and once in awhile i have to log out/in. please not this is w/ 8.10 kde 4.2 (kwin)

i would highly recomend installing compiz and emerald (so you have window title bars)
            as dibl said the compiz package w/ snow is

compiz-fusion-plugins-extras package

if your using kde 4.2 you can not install the compiz-kde package and you will have to manually envoke both compiz and emerald

Code:
            compiz --replace 
            emerald --replace
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I know everything about compiz and emerald, have used them fully in Ubuntu, but in Jackalope, I want to use the KDE exclusive apps. I even switched to Kplayer from VLC (using VLC for a while). In other words, I like my Kubuntu to stay "mint", emerald and compiz will ruin the "mintyness" of it. KWin looks good, now, very well integrated, so Im using KWin with every KDE.

Comment

got ya, with the "mint" kde.
                ok so the easy steps
                snow is turned on.
                and you know the key combo.

now i have noticed w/ kwin4 that sometimes if there is a confilct in the keyboard shortcuts that one of two things will happen either you get nothing (like when i set my dolphin to meta+E before changeing the default for that combo) or you get the first assigned action for that key "the oldest if you will" and i have also noticed that sometimes (only when i been messing w/ things) key combos just get assigned to nothing. like the other day krunner had no shortcut and i didn't even mess w/ ne thing w/ kde or the shortcuts at all.
                i have had sucess running the snow plugin but i have never used the default combo to toggle it. i have always changed it to "crtl+alt+s". hope some of that helps a little
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

It looks like I don't have a problem with keyboard combos, as I said, the snow works, but only when I go to desktop grid or desktop cube ( press combo, nothing, then pres ctrl+F11 to cube and it falls normally. Then when I choose the desktop - go back to it, it freezes - stops, flakes are stationary, hit the combo and its off?!). So, it is definitely a plug in-effect bug, because it works, but not as it should

Comment

Working...
                  X