This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hangs while logging in?

Am I the only one seeing this bug today?: Wen I log in, the system will hang whenever KWin *or* Compiz starts.

I can kill the window manager from a console, flip back to the KDE desktop and fire up apps from a plasma console (like I'm doing right now with FF), but as soon as I run "compiz --replace" or "kwin --replace" the desktop hangs again (until I kill them... rinse... repeat...).

I've completely renamed my .kde directory and rebooted, but get the same results.

I'm not exactly sure what changed since the last reboot, because it's been about three or four days since I rebooted.

Oh well, off to see if anyone else has reported the same bug on launchpad and to see if any clue is in the logs.
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Re: Hangs while logging in?

Did you upgrade, there seems to be problems: > Updates just killed my session, > KWIN Thrashes CPU after latest update and > X display error after upgrades - command prompt
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for the links Rog! I do seem to be having the same issue as those people.

I was able to disable desktop-effects, and can now at least use it until they get the packages fixed.

-J
      Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

BTW, here's a link to the official bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/326344

Comment

disabling desktop effects works for me. Getting to systemsettings was easy enough through konsole, but this is a bad bug for sure.

Comment

Looks like it's been elevated to Critical, so hopefully there will be a fix shortly.

Comment

Working...
            X