X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot connect to Internet

Hi,

Just wondering if any of you could help me.

I have recently installed 9.04 and am having trouble connecting to the internet.
    My intention was to get my wireless working but cannot even get my LAN connected. So firstly, would like to get eth0 configured.

I've been doing lots of reading and tried lots of different things and have managed to get it connected to the router with a working IP. I can also ping to google.com etc and get valid responses in the terminal. Network manager doesn't show any connections and Konquor doesn't work also.

Both eth0 and wlan0 appear to be recognised.

eth0 is a broadcom which there seems to be a lot of people appear to be having problems with although mainly with the wireless.

wlan0 is not broadcom.

Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1300.

Any help much appreciated

Re: Cannot connect to Internet

From a console, as root, type:
    Code:
    sudo cat /etc/network/interfaces
    Post the results.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi,

col@col-laptop:~$ sudo cat /etc/network/interfaces
      [sudo] password for col:
      auto lo
      iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
      #iface eth0 inet dhcp
      iface eth0 inet static
      address 192.168.11.3
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      gateway 192.168.11.1

This is one of the things I have changed. When using dhcp it was giving me the same IP but the wrong subnet mask. So changed this file manually.

Cheers.

Comment

How are you trying to connect to the internet?

through a router, modem, cable? dhcp or static? You said you tried dhcp and changed to static.
        What happens with dhcp and you type
        Code:
        sudo ifup -a
        and the same when static?

Wireless? WEP, WPA, unencoded? mobile phone?

Broadcom eth0 usually works out of the box with tg3

Have a look at detonate's how to http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0
        HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

what subnet mask was DHCP giving you, and how do you know it was wrong? Also, from the IP, I assume you are going through a router...

mm0
          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by kevinc
            How are you trying to connect to the internet?

through a router, modem, cable? dhcp or static? You said you tried dhcp and changed to static.
            What happens with dhcp and you type
            Code:
            sudo ifup -a
            and the same when static?

Wireless? WEP, WPA, unencoded? mobile phone?

Broadcom eth0 usually works out of the box with tg3

Have a look at detonate's how to http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

Sorry. I am connecting through a wireless router which has a cable modem connected to it. This all works fine in XP and can connect either through wired or wireless. For starters I was just trying to connect using wired.

I'll try the code and post back and will also have a good read through the guide.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
              what subnet mask was DHCP giving you, and how do you know it was wrong? Also, from the IP, I assume you are going through a router...

mm0
              It was giving a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 as opposed to 255.255.255.0. Yes, going through a router.

Comment

Ok, managed to get it working

Removed the network manager and changed the interfaces file back to dhcp and all running well.

Are there any network managers that will work well?

Also, to configure my wireless, will I need to configure it manually or is there a way of scanning for networks? wireless security is wpa.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

From what I've seen said here in KFN about the networkmanager in Juanty, it's suggested to install wicd instead.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                  X